Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 600 national staff and 60 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job
The Area Manager (AM) is responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Erbil, Nineveh, and Kirkuk Governorates. S/he will oversee program implementation according to DRC strategies in Iraq and ensure that operations are implemented within DRC’s regulations, procedures, guidelines and strategy; enable a productive and accountable relationship with beneficiaries, communities’ leaders/representatives, relevant governmental authorities, National and International NGOs and UN Agencies in their AoR. The AM is the DRC’s primary representative with relevant actors in the area of responsibility; s/he is the line manager for all staff with area responsibilities and s/he is responsible for ensuring a result oriented team. The incumbent will also ensure a safe environment for DRC staff, beneficiaries and assets through a proactive-acceptance approach using DRC’s security framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Representation and Coordination
- Represents all aspects of programs and operations and has overall accountability for their AOR
- Act as the primary DRC representative in Erbil, Nineveh, Kirkuk Governorates and attend all relevant fora/meetings in order to strengthen DRC’s position in the area;
- Foster relationships with Government authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area of operation also through frequent visits to projects sites;
- Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the area;
- In coordination with the CD, the Head of Program and the Regional Office ensuring that the DRC program in the area contributes to DRC ´s advocacy efforts, nationally, regionally and internationally.
- Maintain close working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and local counterparts in their AoR.
- Line manage area support and program staff (Programmes, Operations, Safety personnel) ensuring inter-department co-ordination;
- Enable an effective team through result oriented management systems, providing leadership, on-job capacity building and designing staff development strategies; Ensure detailed capacity building plan for staff is in place;
- Closely coordinate with the senior management team and sector coordinators ensuring regular information flows;
- Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the area team.
- Lead the process of adapting DRC national strategy to the local context and circumstances in coordination with the Area Programme Manager;
- Provide guidance to the Area Programme Manager in develop DRC’s program in the area of operation and provide technical and context-specific input for fundraising efforts;
- Provide regular analysis on the context and humanitarian situation in the area for the development of project proposals and safety assessments.
Safety and Security: Ensure a safe and secure environment for DRC staff, beneficiaries and assets by ensuring the local security procedures are up to date and SOPs are being followed in line with the SMP and DRC policy, promoting regular staff training, providing safety and security analysis, recommendations and follows-ups.
Accountability: Ensure overall provision of and adherence to DRC policies, procedures, guidelines, systems and standard practices.
- Provide leadership in overseeing of all logistical/procurement, HR/administration and office services activities and ensure their timely/efficient delivering.
- Lead on recruitment of senior staff in coordination with SMT, as appropriate.
- Ensure quality implementation of Core Competency programs ensuring optimal use of financial resources, regular project follow up, reporting, among other tasks.
- Comply with internal reporting requirements, contribute to, and provide quality assurance of external reports from area of operation;
- Participate in DRC internal coordination mechanisms (e.g. SMT, Programme meetings, etc.) as required.
- Strengthen efforts to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing a large team
- Minimum 5 years of experience in project implementation
Education: BA or MA in project management or general management
- Fluent in English
- Arabic notions would be a plus
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.