UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a fair chance!
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision and guidance of the Human Resources Officer, the Human Resources Assistant provides administrative, procedural and operational support and assistance to the efficient implementation of a broad range of Human Resources functions for all categories of staff in his/her office, ensuring accurate and timely delivery, whilst promoting a client-based, quality and results orientated approach to the unit and ensuring compliance with UNICEF HR rules and regulations.
To make a difference you will be accountable for the following key duties & tasks:
Support to onboarding and orientation, staff transition, and off-boarding
- Ensures staff are effectively and efficiently on-boarded to the organization; ensures all necessary information is provided to GSSC and employee queries are addressed.
- Processes staff contract extensions, lateral moves and promotions, stretch assignments, and other assignments, ensuring all necessary information is submitted to GSSC for processing.
- Provides support to off boarding of staff, including separations, retirements, and contract expirations and all related processes including liaison with GSSC.
- Provides briefing to staff on benefits/entitlements on initial appointment and separations.
- Prepares announcement related to new staff and staff transitions as required.
Support in processing of entitlement and benefits
- Ensures all relevant documentation is submitted to GSSC in a timely fashion. Works in VISION as necessary.
- Supports staff in the utilization of self-service systems such as MyCase and others.
- In consultation with supervisor, compile and analyze data and information to support KPIs, HR initiatives, and the consistent and equitable application of decisions and implementation of agreed upon action.
- In consultation with supervisor, analyze, research and verify information for the purpose of responding to staff queries on areas related to benefits and entitlements. Liaises with GSSC as necessary.
- Maintains and prepares personnel-related records and files, ensuring all information on each staff member is up-to-date and accurate.
Support in recruitment and placement
- Provides support to recruitment and placement as requested by undertaking the following as required:
- Drafts vacancy announcements for positions within his/her office for review by supervisor to help attract ideal candidates.
- Ensures timely and efficient screening of applications for minimum eligibility, taking into account qualifications, competencies, and post requirements.
- Liaises with candidates in the various stages of the recruitment process.
- Prepares formal acknowledgement, offer and regret letters.
- Records and maintains recruitment files, ensuring all necessary documentation has been prepared.
- Monitors life-cycle of recruitment process to update supervisor as necessary.
Support in learning and development
- Provides support to learning and development as requested by undertaking the following as required:
- In consultation with supervisor, researches data/information to help identify training needs within his/her country office for the development of learning plans and other targeted training interventions.
- In consultation with supervisor, researches, and compiles information on external training courses available and educational institutions to help supervisor decide on learning programmes that address learning gaps in his/her country office.
- Assists team in organizing and conducting courses, workshops and events by participating in exercises which aim to build capacity of stakeholders.
- Assists team in organizing and conducting courses, workshops and events by preparing and organizing distribution of materials for participants, ensuring availability of training venues and required equipment and supplies, while providing logistical and secretarial support at workshops and events as necessary.
Time Attendance: Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have
Education: Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible human resources experience required
Language Requirements: Fluency of English and local language of the duty station required.
For every Child, you demonstrate
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Applying technical expertise (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)