Performs administrative support activities for the contract billing and revenue recognition department. Works with departmental staff to ensure invoicing documents conform to required Funder contract standards, company guidelines, US Government FAR, CAS, and A-122 regulations and Funder expectations and are transmitted to Funders expeditiously. Uses office automated systems to input data, generate reports, conduct specialized research projects and respond to inquiries. Reconciles accounts as needed and maintains a complete and systematic set of periodic transactions. Prepares reports, maintains financial filing systems, and processes work of others in the department with accuracy. Informs manager of billing / payment issues and prepares reports in anticipation of financial reporting timelines
- Performs entry level billing activities for all project types (CPFF, T&M, Fixed Price) and various customers for the contract billing and revenue recognition department.
- Ensures all bills are current and invoicing documents conform to required Funder contract standards, company guidelines, and are aligned with US Government FAR, CAS, and 2 CFR 200 regulations as required.
- Uses a financial billing system to accurately prepare bills and reconcile invoices and complete NICRA rate adjustments.
- Provides analysis of costs incurred in accordance with contractual, company and federal requirements to determine billable costs and required supporting documentation
- Identifies and escalates any system invoice calculation errors and billing/payment issues management and either leads or supports issue resolution, depending on complexity.
- Reconciles project costs to billed costs and maintains a complete and systematic set of billing records.
- Reconciles any funder required report documentation to system generated invoices.
- Creates custom reports, maintains financial filing systems, and uploads invoices to a shared storage location for company records
- Submits timely and accurate invoices directly to funder or through online customer portals, when necessary
- Produces a monthly reconciliation consisting of an analysis of project costs compared to billing costs with an explanation of any unbilled amounts.
- Must be able to read a simple contractual document and interpret and apply the rules and regulations related to financial billing, funding, restrictions and reporting
- Collaborates with program staff and external clients to provide accurate and timely invoices that are in compliant with the proposed budget and/or contractual documents
- Participates in special assignments as needed by the Contract Billing, AR and Revenue Recognition department.
- Supports billing and revenue group as needed, including administrative duties of preparing invoicing packets or obtaining supporting documentation from field offices or program finance personnel.
- Performs other duties assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Interpret and apply thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and their application.
- Apply thorough knowledge of applicable information technology to perform the billing duties.
- Demonstrated ability in account and vendor statement reconciliation.
- Attention to detail to ensure a high level of accuracy.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, meet deadlines, prioritize and manage numerous independent tasks and work effectively under pressure.
- Communication and presentation skills, verbal and written.
- Ability to influence others inside and outside the organization as well as champion and implement ideas.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in confidential matters
- Ability to demonstrate ethical conduct and decision-making skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of limited scope.
- Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained.
- Builds stable working relationships internally.
- Has ability to recognize situations that deviate from accepted practice.
- Follows specific standards and procedures to resolve; variations must be approved by manager before taking action.
- Errors may negatively impact departmental function and ability to meet deadlines.
- Work is supervised and specific instructions are given for new activities or special assignments.
- Normally receives no instructions on routine work, general instructions on new assignments.
- May offer ideas and suggestions for improving efficiency, but does not change procedures without supervisor’s approval.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments.
- Typically reports to a Manager.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Typically requires 1 - 3 years’ experience in Accounting, Finance, Billing or related field.
- Experience in billing and knowledgeable of work breakdown structures.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) is preferred.
- Ability to interpret contractual agreements as it relates to billing is preferred.
- Must be a multi tasker and able to consistently meet tight deadlines.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used: Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
Travel Requirements: Less than 10%