Marie Stopes Nepal has been operating since 1994 and today operates 36 static centres across the country providing family planning and safe abortion to women and men who seek our services. The mission of Marie Stopes is ‘children by choice not chance’. Marie Stopes International is a not for profit organisation, operating in 37 countries and having the HQ in London, UK. Despite being a not for profit organisation MS Nepal clinics are operated as social businesses, some services are chargeable to the client and despite some donor funding the centres network is aiming towards financial sustainability. A Centres Channel Lead is a key role in achieving that goal.
The Centre Channel Lead will form a strategic part of the future for Marie Stopes Centres in Nepal. The post holder is responsible to lead the Clinics service delivery channel for MSI/SPN at a national scale to ensure that robust, technically sound, efficient, and effective program design and systems are in place for high performance in the given competitive environment. The post holder should be able to analyse current trends and behaviours as well as propose ideas and initiatives, based on strong evidence to increase business opportunities for MS Nepal clinics. The centres network is aiming towards financial sustainability, this may be parts through a government Public Private Partnership or through other profit generating service delivery channels.
The role is based at SPN Support Office Kathmandu, Nepal and regularly involves travel to the sites and also attending meetings/ events, monitoring, support and representing SPN at various forums (expected field travel 40%).
Lead and support in shaping Strategic Direction for Clinics Program:
- Input to SPN Strategic Plan, with focus on priority Clinics program areas
- Markets – understand market conditions for channel success and advice on strategic deployment of the channel within a Country Program’s overall channel mix.
- Support Marketing Director in the developing/reviewing of centre specific demand generation strategies.
- Seek and implement strategic partnerships with a goal towards financial sustainability of the centres network
- Explore, analyse and support the development of a public private partnership with the government of Nepal for safe abortion service delivery
- Support to new business development team in planning and development of proposals, and mobilize continuous funding to maintain & further scale-up of Clinics program
- Other strategies around self-sustainable models for long term clinic service delivery
- Correspond with MSI centre channel lead (London based) and share updates about country program, when required.
Standards & Guidelines:
- Lead development and periodic review of policies, standards and procedures for the Clinics Program
- Work closely with Operations Director to ensure accountability for standards and protocols
- Work closely with MDT to ensure that the channel adheres to minimum clinical standards, SPNS’s quality assurance framework and all supporting policies.
- Apply MSI agreed rules and recommendation in country program and update health check.
- Lead and support innovations in Clinics program in collaboration with technical, operations and marketing teams.
- Support Project teams to plan, implement and evaluate innovative approaches and share learning across Clinics channel
- Design, support in improving practices and prepare pilots for demand side financing mechanisms if appropriate and within donor requirements (i.e. voucher scheme, insurance etc)
- Work closely with Marketing Director to strengthen DG program and implement innovative approaches to enhance client experience at the centres.
Evidence and Insight:
- Work closely with the RME team to develop tools, capture, analyse and measure the impact of interventions.
- Monitoring Data - standardise monitoring indicators across the Clinics channel for apple to apple comparisons
- Routine Evaluations - Internal QTA, External QTA, CEIs, MCS etc.
- Operations Research – support to investigate specific issues of interest
- Research – support to set the research agenda to improve understanding of the channel
- MIS Tools – standardise tools to support the above; support and document best practice and innovation in supportive systems to achieve operational excellence.
- In coordination in RME team strengthen data validation process
- Share success models with other country programs and collect best practices from other for country program
Clinics Program Performance Review:
- Develop monitoring & evaluation system for Clinics channel to support performance management
- Provide guidelines and technical support to different donor funded Clinic projects in critical areas of implementation and also assist them to operate within the policies and procedures set for Clinical Program
- Prepare and communicate monthly substantive analytical report based on Clinical dashboards along with necessary action plans/ key considerations/ recommendations to Operations Director for evidence based decision making
- Share recommendations to Operations Director for changes in channel structure for up taking efficiency and productivity.
- Conduct monthly meeting with MDT to address any quality issue. Develop action plan, disseminate to the ops manager and follow up for the closure of those action plan.
- Participate in progress review meetings and provide technical inputs
- Spot visits at centres for data validation and guidance
- Prepare tailor made strategies on district/regional basis for improvement of performance.
- Work closely with the Operations Director to address the gap raised in internal audit and also share of best practises in other centres
- Review budget against spent monthly.
- Develop/ strengthen strategies to manage poor performance centre.
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences, or related fields preferred.
- Private sector experience and/or proven record of successful income generating initiatives desired
- Knowledge and interest in Health Financing mechanisms such as PPP’s preferred
- Experience in the NGO Sector preferred
- High competency across MS word, excel and PowerPoint
- 7 years of experience in leading a strategic project or programme with proven record of accomplishment of growth and development required
- Clinic management experience (especially private sector or social business) will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of the health sector in Nepal will be considered an asset
- Knowledge and Experience of basics of Health Financing considered an asset
- Proven record of developing good quality analytical reports on program matters
Skills and Abilities
- Collaboration skills; with the ability to motivate teams to exceed expectations (this is not a management role but strong communication with other teams in the organisation is critical)
- Strong analytical skills – proficiency in data analysis, the ability to accurately interpret data and generate reports based on evidence for effective decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence and communicate with stakeholders, both internal and external
- Exceptional computer and organizational skills;
- Fluent in English & Nepali both written and spoken – with the ability to draft good quality reports
- Excellent communication skills – with the ability to prepare and give effective presentations
- Strong commitment to the goal and vision of Sunaulo Parivar Nepal
- Desire to understand people’s motivations, desires, hopes, fears and dreams
- Pro Choice
- Goes beyond the obvious to look for creative solutions from multiple perspectives
- Team Player
- Well-connected in local marketing and communications scene and always seeking inspiration from other knowledge sources