Chief of Party
University Research Co., Pretoria, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
The Chief of Party will provide overall strategic and managerial leadership of the project in collaboration with all of the major stakeholders. The USAID TBSAP Project is five-year contract which builds upon interventions and achievements from URC’s current USAID TB CARE II South Africa and the prior TB Program South Africa. TB CARE II activities are supporting the South Africa National Department of Health’s (NDOH) TB prevention and control efforts, working closely with national and provincial partners to close identified gap areas and further develop sustainable systems that can carry forward long-term improvements in TB and drug-resistant (DR) TB diagnosis, care, and treatment services.
TBSAP will help the government of South Africa further reduce TB infections, with the ultimate goal of ending TB once and for all. To reach this goal, TBSAP will continue to improve the long-term sustainability of effective TB response systems and improve TB care and treatment for vulnerable populations.
- Providing overall strategic and managerial leadership of the project in collaboration with all of the major stakeholders
- Monitoring the TB Program’s performance in achieving NTP/NSP goals and objectives
- Coordinating with NTP and provincial departments of health on the identification of project technical assistance needs required to achieve the expected outputs of the contract
- Development of suitable scopes of work, recruitment of consultants, and execution of technical assistance contracts
- Coordinate the meetings of TB SAP Steering Committee
- Coordinating with NTP to determine all training, technical needs and identifying suitable opportunities to support each component of the project
- Providing administrative supervision for all long- and short-term staff
- Ensuring that field staff prepare and update performance data on a regular basis
- Providing technical inputs on various aspects of the project including DOTS expansion, training, social mobilization and TB/HIV
- Identifying NGOs and other private entities to implement various PPM models
- Overseeing management systems implementing all activities undertaken with funds provided in the contract
- Overseeing the annual project planning cycle which formulates comprehensive annual work-plans and budgets in accordance with the USAID annual planning cycle
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual project activity reports as specified in the contract
- Functioning as the liaison between the NDOH, PDOHs, appropriate private sector groups, and USAID on all administrative and financial matters related to the project.
- A strong record of leading projects of similar size and complexity in South Africa;
- At least 10 years of experience, preferably in South Africa, in TB policy and technical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive relationships with senior government officials, the business community, civil society, and international donors; excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Excellent English language written and oral communications skills; and
- A degree in a relevant discipline such as Medicine or Public Health.
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.