Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative Associates International seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated civic engagement and peace project, funded by USAID, to promote stability, local solutions, and citizen participation to mitigate conflict and empower civil society in South Sudan. The COP is to be based in Juba, South Sudan and will have overall management responsibility for the project.
This position reports to the Program Director in the CIT Division or his or her designee.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. S/he will undertake regular assessments of the broader political environment within which the project operates to ensure flexibility and rapid reprioritization of activities when necessary.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with South Sudanese civil society organizations on program communications and technical implementation activities;
- Serve as principal liaison with U.S. Government representatives and South Sudan government counterparts,
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to U.S. Government/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting and collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project agreement and all relevant USAID and U.S. Government rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues; and;
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible management experience, with significant experience as a development professional administering donor-funded programs in areas of elections and political processes.
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing such projects in post-conflict and developing countries.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop solid working relationships with local non-governmental institutions, government officials, and coordination with other donors;
- Demonstrated record of success in politically sensitive environments;
- Proven ability to foster citizen engagement and oversight, political participation of marginalized groups, and organizational capacity development of civil society organizations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical capacity;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience as a development professional administering donor-funded programs in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience working with citizen engagement and oversight of political processes, especially as they relate to youth and gender;
- Thorough understanding of the political, social, and economic environment, and of the history and culture of South Sudan. Prior experience in South Sudan and/or in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience working with partnership organizations, especially civil society organizations and/or government agencies;
- Experience in producing civic/voter education materials;
- Experience in developing survey tools and working with focus groups;
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience from an accredited university in a relevant field.