About the Fair Labor Association
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to improving worker’s lives. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The China Program Director is the leading voice of the FLA in China. He/she will deepen the FLA’s brand in China by ensuring the activities of the FLA are executed effectively. The China Director will inspire the support of FLA stakeholders both inside and outside of China with the goal of promoting better working conditions for garment and footwear workers through strengthening the capacity of factories and international brands in China. The China Program Director will proactively develop relationships with Chinese authorities at all levels of government to advance the FLA mission.
The China Director reports to the Chief of Accountability & Innovation in Washington DC. Duty location preference is Shanghai, but will consider Hong Kong or other major Chinese cities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage FLA operations in China and lead a small China team.
- Provide strategic leadership on FLA programs in China.
- Guide the FLA with securing its registration as a foreign NGO in China and meeting other possible regulatory requirements at various levels of government.
- Support and oversee technical direction of FLA’s factory monitoring and training programs.
- Work with factories and farms affiliated with the FLA to comply with local government employment laws.
- Work closely with FLA headquarters, businesses with operations in China, and China team to improve the quality and effectiveness of FLA programs and services.
- Maintain relationships with and provide advisory role to international brands.
- Deepen the reputation of the FLA as an authority in this field by engaging with industry, government officials and stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Accountability and Innovation Officer.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ten to fifteen years of experience in a leadership role, especially with deepening presence of an organization in the marketplace.
- Expert knowledge on supply chain issues.
- A proven ability to work with Chinese authorities at all levels.
- Strong operational skills in leading a small team to deliver FLA services.
- Superior communication skills especially in mobilizing stakeholders, governments and donors to collaborate on FLA priorities.
- Successful experience working with a U.S. or European-based organization and the challenges that time zones and culture place on that relationship.
- Fluent in both Chinese and English.
- Authorization to work in China.
This position requires travel on an as-needed basis.