Communication and Media Officer
Plan International, MAROUA, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE:
Under the supervision of the Emergency Response Manager / and technical support of the PR & Communication Advisor, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Develop and amend as necessary a communications plan for national and international media.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key national and international journalists, other Communications Officers, and with representatives of other NGOs, etc.
- Act as the main point of contact for media and respond to requests for information from journalists, NOs, and donors, including arranging interviews and field visits.
- Act as spokesperson for the organization when appropriate and with approval of the CD.
- Prepare, distribute and log press releases.
- Conduct regular field visits to interview staff and beneficiaries, write human interest stories and take photos and video.
- Work with national PR & Com Advisor, CD and Emergency Team to determine how to liaise with local media.
- Identify key media outlets and suggest initiatives to promote Plan’s emergency response operations
- Participate in the Communications to Disaster-affected Communities (CDAC) working group or public information working group if active
- Disseminate a steady flow of information (social media updates, human interest stories, talking points and Q&As, blogs etc) to the PR & Com Advisor for internal and external dissemination as per Plan’s emergency communications guide.
- Prepare Situation report to update on the status of PLAN’s disaster response activities;
- Regularly provide high-resolution, good quality digital images of the emergency and PLAN’s work;
- Work with PR & Com and external media service providers to produce response audiovisual material (documentaries, spots, etc).
- Compile a log of media calls.
- Work with PR & Com Advisor and IH Communications Officers to monitor media and compile a list of national/international media coverage.
- Work with PR & Com and IH Communications Officers to produce a ‘lessons learned’ document and make recommendations for future operations
- University Degree in Journalism, Communication or equivalent experience
- At least one year of experience working in journalism, communications, media, or Public Relations
- Strong understanding of print, radio, television and online media
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Intermediate photography and/or filming skills
- Additional technical skills are desirable, including proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or photo-editing software and movie-editing software such as Adobe Premier
- Fluent written and spoken English and French. Preference will be given to candidates who speak more than one working language.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with or in collaboration with an NGO or UN agency, or equivalent, is preferred.
- Prior experience travelling to, or working in an emergency environment will be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and principles.
- Ability to operate effectively in stressful situations, including working overtime.
- Gender awareness and cultural sensitivity.