UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia and the Pacific, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives.
With support from Australian Government, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (“DFAT” formerly AusAid) and by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), UNCDF launched Mobile Money for the Poor (MM4P) in March 2012, a global thematic initiative to address the opportunities and challenges of implementing branchless banking and mobile money in challenging markets in Africa and Asia. MM4P’s long-term mission is to help low income and rural households in LDCs increase their financial security through appropriate, affordable and secure means to receive, manage and save money through these “digital financial services” (DFS). To do so, its intermediate goal is to help build inclusive digital financial sectors such that a wide range of digital financial services are provided responsibly, and at reasonable cost, by sustainable institutions in a well-regulated environment. This combines a making markets work for the poor approach with UNCDF’s traditional operational model of directly supporting the most crucial level – retail service providers. UNCDF is currently implementing this in nine countries (Laos, Nepal, Malawi, Malaysia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Benin, Zambia and Uganda). With its programme management unit in Brussels, Belgium, UNCDF has placed technical teams in each of the focus countries of the programme.
UNCDF has been active in Nepal in the digital finance space since 2014 with funds from UNCDF’s MM4P program laying the groundwork for a full-scale country interventions and programs including MM4P. In the past three years its work has been instrumental in creating a enabling environment for the range of digital finance providers to operate in Nepal. It has provided significant training and support to over a dozen of providers and is now focusing its work on two main projects linked to the largest remittance companies in the countries to help them develop and launch digital accounts.
The Communication Consultant is a key part of MM4P activities at the country level as the focus of the programme is to deliver learnings gathered from different interventions and also amplify the work of UNCDF on digital through various channels. The Communication consultant largely is responsible for the work in Nepal, but also supports few engagements across other countries (Laos and Myanmar).
Duties and Responsibilities
Workshop Management Support:
- Draft and edit ToR and agenda for workshops and support in planning the activities;
- Support in identifying the vendors or other logistic required to conduct the workshop;
- With support from in-country team and others, plan the actual implementation of the workshops/conference and provide support during the conduct of the workshop;
- Conduct post workshop follow-up with participants, as required;
- Assist with producing material for further dissemination after the workshop and support in curating and managing the social media content during the event/workshop.
Social Media Management & Content Creation:
- Support the expansion of MM4P’s social media presence;
- Effectively support the social media presence of the programme to strengthen the MM4P’s brand awareness and to provide visibility to the programme’s knowledge management activities and outputs (publications and videos);
- Write engaging content for the various social media channels of the programme;
- Boost followers and engagement on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and other relevant channels;
- Coordinate the development of campaign assets such as snapshots of publications, infographics and animations;
- Keep abreast of social media trends and identify new opportunities to increase the visibility of MM4P’s work on online platforms;
- Coordinate social media activities with UNCDF headquarters, donors and partners;
- Increase in-house social media usage, by suggesting sample posts and training colleagues;
- Produce evaluation reports on the impact of MM4P’s communications activities on social media platforms. Report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding digital financial services.
Newsletter Management & Content Curation and Creation:
- Monitor content produced by third parties related to mobile and branchless banking;
- Ensure curated content is available on the relevant social media channels of the programme;
- Compile relevant content in social media tools to be disseminated to MM4p Partners and other interested audiences;
- Manage the list of subscribers with the support of the team, coordinate the management of multiple contact list and potential subscribers;
- Assist in MM4P’s newsletter production, including writing, editing, gathering information from MM4P team and partners, formatting and sending it out to subscribers.
- Assists in posting content and news to the MM4P website via the content management system.
Capturing Learnings and Presenting Portfolio:
- Draft and edit a wide range of materials, including media products, blog posts, web content, brochures and presentations.
- Assist with development of learning questions from the project working alongside technical teams
- Engage with partners and technical team to capture the learnings at different levels, assist with curation of content and presentation of same through right medium.
- Develop and design the portfolio of projects in Nepal, in ways that the same is easily shareable and assist with story telling
- Through webinar presentation organize and present on the learnings within the UNCDF team and outside
- Support with organizing the deliverables under the USAID engagement, in terms organizing and liaison with the USAID communication team to amplify and drive participation in events/workshops.
Drive Community Engagement:
- Support the packaging of the learnings gathered by the programme in Asia, by drafting short versions of report and designing them for dissemination (creating compelling presentation, infographics or publications for digital dissemination or print).
- Support the team in producing compelling presentations for events and different workshops;
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining list serves and contact database for partners and other stakeholders
- Ensure regular engagement with the community through online channels and in live events to maintain level of awareness of the programmes’ mission, vision and accomplishments and disseminate its learnings. Create a repository of learnings that can be accessed by the entire community.
- At least 3 events/workshops within one year, at least 3 events/workshops in the second year;
- Coordinate the production of at least 1 video and 2 in-depth report in the first year, and 1 video and 2 in-depth report in the second year.
- Produce at least 2 decks presenting the state of the market and the programme’ s accomplishments in the first year, 2 more in the second year.
- Produce at-least 4 fact sheets and portfolio highlights in the first year, and at-least another 4 in the second year.
- Coordinate the writing and editing of at least 4 to 6 blog post/press release in 12 months, another 4 to 6 blog posts/press releases in the second 12 months.
- At-least 1 webinar presenting the learnings from the project in year one and at-least 2 webinars in year two.
- Demonstrates commitment to the mission, vision and values of UNDP/UNCDF;
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Exhibits integrity in the work place, including transparency and honesty.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to oversee the communication of projects related to financial inclusion, economic development or other issues pertaining to the sustainable development goals (SDGs);
- inability to oversee document and report production, print and electronic publishing;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Ability to manage events, oversee contributions of other actors.
Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to organize and perform a variety of specialized tasks simultaneously related to Results Management, including administrative support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Leads team creatively and effectively;
- Remains calm, in control and good-humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Interacts with others in a professional, respectful, and friendly manner;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Communicates clearly and convincingly.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Masters Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations or a related field is mandatory.
- At least two years of experience in the field of communication for non-profit organizations and/or companies, including analyzing results is mandatory. This should include professional experience with social media channels, particularly Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, including knowledge of monitoring tools;
- At least one year of professional experience in writing and editing outstanding social media content, blogs and media products is mandatory;
- Knowledge of digital payments, financial inclusion and/or international development is mandatory;
- Awareness of social media communication behaviors in emerging and developing countries is desired;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications; web design and/or maintenance;
- Experience in branding, communications and experience in media relations, graphic design and video production is a plus;
- Experience working with international organizations, developing country governments, donor agencies, and/or NGOs and other civil society groups engaged in diverse sectors of international development.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English is required;
- Other language skills desirable.