If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
With the overall guidance of Regional Chief of Communication, the consultant is required to perform the following tasks:
- Amplify UNICEF’s voice by planning media materials and digital platforms, messaging, human interest stories and other materials about UNICEF activities for children in accordance with regional priorities particularly on South-South cooperation and the SDGs.
- Provide support and guidance to ROs and COs for the Digital Transformation Project.
- Develop strategic outreach and advocacy plans to promote regional events and launches, and develop outreach materials to support CO advocacy for these launches.
- Provide technical support and training to COs with communication planning, content creation, setting up and making best use of digital channels and training communication and programme staff in various aspects of storytelling.
- Propose and create quality control of content on the regional website and other digital platforms including social media (especially blog and Twitter).
- Support media outreach, including drafting press releases and Q&As.
- Provide additional surge and emergency support to the section, as required.
- Support communication needs for innovation for GIC.
- Well-prepared written materials and presentations and well developed strategies for activities scheduled throughout the next year, including, launches and activities.
- Preparation of press releases, Q&As, stories and talking points in support of major regional activities and events, in close collaboration with Regional Chief of Communication and COs.
- Support for CO communication plans and digital communication infrastructure.
- Facilitation of missions to heighten visibility on specific issues, through identification of strong stories and best practices that should be disseminated to larger audiences. This will involve close liaising and collaboration with COs, HQ, and GRO.
- Identification and development of materials, photos and research for regional digital platforms.
Estimated Duration of Contract: 11 months (22 December 2017 – 21 November 2018)
Official Travel: The consultant will work at UNICEF EAPRO, Bangkok, Thailand and travel to CO when required.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- Work experience with UNICEF, knowledge of UNICEF issues and familiarity with UNICEF style, quality and brand guidelines an asset.
- Experience in gathering, writing and packaging critical information, including for digital platforms and presentations.
- Knowledge of the development and right issues in UNICEF’s mandate.
- Understanding of writing for a general (public) audience.
- Experience of writing for an internal UNICEF audience an asset.