Trócaire in collaboration with other implementing partner organizations: Caritas Kitui, Caritas Meru (Tharaka-Nithi), and the Order of Saint Augustine of Ishiara Parish (Embu) is implementing a Community resilience and climate change adaptation project in drought-affected communities in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) of Kenya which cover Kitui, Tharaka Nthi and Embu counties. In order to realize improved levels of economic security of the vulnerable communities, the programme seeks to use the Saving and Internal Lending in Communities (SILC) as one of the methodologies.
The purpose of SILC in this context is to provide savings-led financial services to communities that have no access to formal financial services or where access to these services is limited due to high transaction costs and other entry barriers.In this regard, Trocaire and its partners will facilitate training of 60 members of the communities to become TOTs and support them to establish, train and support their respective SILCs.
Purpose for the Consultancy
The purpose of this consultancy is to Train partner staff and community Trainer of Trainees (ToTs) on formation and operation of SILC Groups.
Scope of the Works
- Train Trainer of Trainees on SILC formation, operation using the SILC manual
- How the SILC Methodology works
- Establishment and effective functioning of SILC groups
- Group Governance/leadership and Record keeping
- The importance of SILC and how to access savings and credit facilities via SILCs
- Development of policies and regulation related to social fund, saving and Credit activities.
The consultant(s) is expected to generate a training report which shall include the following
- Cover page
- Technical details
- An action plan to the ToTs for effective monitoring
- Photos and any other relevant information
- Time frame
The consultancy shall be carried out for 14 days in the month of February 2017-specific dates for the training and venues to be communicated to the successful consultant(s) by the specific partner organizations according to their work plans. The final report with the maps will be expected in 2 day’s time after the date of training and at most within the stipulated time in the contract. Consultation is necessary during the entire period.
The cost of the assignment will be negotiated with the successful consultant that will be inclusive of all cost and within project budget.
The Consultant shall carry out the training in a professional manner in keeping with accepted standards, using qualified staff with requisite experience.The Consultant shall endeavour to implement the assignment with diligence and within the time frame agreed upon in the contract.
As full consideration for the services performed by the consultant under the terms of the agreement, Caritas Kitui, Caritas Meru and Ishiara Parish shall pay the service provider upon certification that the services have been satisfactorily performed. A submission of the deliverables shall form basis of payment for this consultancy.
Request for application by qualified consultant(s) to carry out the SILC Training
Qualified consultant(s) can send their proposal that include the following to the undersigned.
- A company/individual profile, including demonstrated ability to conduct this assignment
- Expected consultancy fee in Kenya shillings.
- Updated curriculum vitae of the consultant(s) with relevant qualifications and experience.
- Reference contact of organizations which have recently contracted the consultant(s) to carry out similar or related assignment.
- Commitment that the key consultants will be available and participate full time in the training exercise.