Oxfam, one of the leading global development organizations, mobilizes the power of people against poverty. We are a diverse confederation of 17 strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programs. In Bangladesh the threats to people living in poverty and to human rights are many, varied, and complex. Bangladesh became independent in 1971. Oxfam has been working in the country since then. Today Bangladesh is a country of 165 million with a median age of 24. Having done extremely well in meeting the millennium development goals, it has its eyes set on becoming a middle income country by 2021. The political space however continues to be polarised and despite the huge improvements in humanitarian preparedness that the country has made over the years, a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. NGOs – both international and national - have had a huge opportunity to contribute to the development of the country in the past. That opportunity to continue delivering impact and innovation for the future still exists. As a recipient of the Friends of Liberation War Honor from the Prime Minister’s office in 2012, Oxfam is recognized as a leading voice in the NGO sector of Bangladesh.
Purpose of the Job:
- The Country Director will be responsible for implementing the Oxfam 2020 Vision which aims to create a stronger Oxfam that is globally coordinated and relevant in every country in which we work.
- Aiming to create a future where Oxfam is a more interdependent network, driven more by knowledge, organized for more simplicity internally and more globally balanced.
- In order to help drive and deliver this ambitious vision in Bangladesh, we are currently seeking an outstanding and distinctive Country Director.
- This leader will have demonstrable strategic and creative leadership, management and coordination skills in a network setting, a multi-cultural worldview and understand the systemic challenges and strengths of being a global organization.
- This leader has a deep understanding of the political dimensions central to achieving change, and has extensive experience in influencing power at different levels to push for solutions. Excellent communication skills, including fluency in Bangla and English are essential.
- The Country Director will contribute to and implement Oxfam’s Global strategy, by providing vision and strategic direction to all of Oxfam’s work in the Country.
- This includes Oxfam’s humanitarian responses, long term development program design and implementation, advocacy and policy and influencing.
- They will be responsible and accountable for the strategic direction and effective management of the Country, ensuring development, continued improvement in quality and impact, and effective financial and human resource management in line with Oxfam Policy.
- We particularly welcome applications from women and those from the global south, as they are under-represented at senior management level.