BiD Network Foundation, Kampala, Uganda
Closing Date for Applications:
About BiD Network:
BiD Network Foundation is a Not-for-profit founded in 2007 with offices in Kampala and Amsterdam. Our mission is to increase access to finance for emerging market entrepreneurs by preparing them and connecting them to financiers. Since 2015 we have a new management team that aims to transition the foundation into a social enterprise, with the objective to become sustainable, and more effective in the results and impact we create. Our clients are small and medium-sized enterprises with revenues of at least USD 100,000, a strong entrepreneurial team, proof of market, a scalable business model and create social impact.
Many small and medium-sized enterprises in Uganda have growth potential, but lack the right skills and access to finance to grow their business to their fullest potential. That’s where BiD Network steps in. We provide Business Growth Support and Investor Matchmaking services; Business Growth Support is provided after a thorough assessment of the business, and technical support is provided together with our network of highly qualified experts and partners. Matchmaking services focus on the preparation of documents necessary for investment, including financial modeling, investment plan and investor deck preparation. BiD Network works with a network of 200+ active private as well as institutional investors. This network has been built up over the last 10 years. We have provided access to finance for 235 SMEs for over USD 32 million.
- To grow our activities in Uganda and the region, we are looking for an experienced Country Director for our local office who will be responsible for leading the Uganda team. We are looking for an individual with international experience in the field of Investment and Corporate finance. The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through serving entrepreneurs in the SME sector with risk capital and business support, helping them to realise their full business potential and achieve long- term success.
- The Country Director will also be expected to lead the team in sourcing quality pipeline, preparing quality investment memorandums for our investor network, conducting high quality business assessments, and providing excellent business growth support to the SMEs. The Country Director will work closely with the Investment Director based in the Netherlands in maintaining and growing our International Investor network.
- The Country Director will also represent BiD Network at events (both local and in the region) and promote BiD Network services to larger clients such as NGOs, Development Organizations and Corporates that want to make use of BiD Network services.
- The ambition of BiD Network is to scale up regionally in the near future which will provide opportunities for growth for the right candidate. We are looking for a candidate that has the right skills set and ambition to grow towards Regional Director in the future. The Country Director Uganda reports to the Investment Director in the Netherlands.
- Managing the Ugandan Country Office including attending to statutory and legal requirements, overseeing financial reporting and audit process of the local entity
- Leading and training the Uganda office staff to improve the quality of our business assessments, selection process, investment preparation, and monitoring of investments
- Ensure quality of business assessment, investment preparation, business growth support and matchmaking services
- Development of investor services
- Developing and maintaining relations with strategic partners and investors
- Relationship and account management of larger clients of BiD Network.
- BiD Network representation in Uganda and potentially in the region
- Part of management team (MT) of BiD Network
- Contribute to the strategic direction of BiD Network (up-scaling, fundraising, business development)
- Potentially set up of new country offices in the region in coordination with Netherlands
Experience, skills and knowledge:
- University degree in Economics, Business Administration, or Finance.
- Advanced degree is an advantage. An MBA is preferred, as well as CFA or ACCA.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
- Experience in investment banking
- Excellent deal origination skills and a well-developed network with the local SME business and finance community.
- A minimum of 3 years of Investment management experience. Preferably in Private Equity.
- Experience managing a team
- Experience of working in Africa. Preferably with understanding of the Ugandan/East African financial, regulatory and operational environment;
- Proven experience with business consultancy and training/coaching.
- Experience working with SMEs
- Fluent in English (verbally and written);
- Living (or willing to live) in Kampala or surroundings. We have a preference for people based in East Africa.