Job: Nepal Country Representative
Reporting to: Desk Asia
Location: Kathmandu (Nepal)
Contract type: the duration (12 months) and the contract type will be defined according to the Job Act update
Apply before: ASAP before 9 July 2017, but considered the urgency of the research, in the case of identification of candidate aligned with the profile, the announcement will be terminated in advance
Starting Mission: at the beginning of September 2017
WeWorld is a non-profit non-governmental organization for development cooperation, recognized by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs; we are independent, non-denominational and apolitical. Established in Milan in 1999, WeWorld works in Italy, Asia, Africa and Latin America to defend and promote the woman and child rights.
- WeWorld collaborates with a network of other civil-society organizations to give the most vulnerable people a voice on the Italian and international political agenda, and we are involved in the main networks protecting children’s and women’s rights.
- WeWorld adopts the approach of human rights as a conceptual and methodological basis for its actions. WeWorld works in seven countries in the development Countries in collaboration with local partners in supporting or implementing projects designed to: protect children, ensure their access to education, to ensure their health and that of their mothers, promote the participation of children, gender equality and women's rights. Education and health are priorities, so the projects are based on a sponsorship program, which is implemented in pre-primary and primary schools for pupils aged 4 to 8.
WeWorld works in Nepal since 2010, to promote the universal access to quality education. The program is funded by private funds collected through a Long Distance Sponsorship Program. The action is implemented by local partners, in particular by: Child Workers in Nepal (CWIN), and in rural context by Child Nepal (CN), Global Action Nepal (GAN) and Nanghshall. The action aims to support the primary education in the intervention areas improving the environment of schools, the quality of the education to 12.000 children, improving the school infrastructures, training the teachers, involving the community in the school management. The 25th of April an Earthquake has had a devastating impact in Sindhupalchock, Kathmandu and Kavrepalanchock, were We World was working since 2012. In these areas a high percentage of schools have been damaged living children out of schools. The action was focusing on emergency response for education, in order to resume classes in the short term assuring the access to education to more than 5000 children, supporting the construction of 60 Temporary Learning Centre (TLC). Ending the emergency phase, WeWorld has moved to school reconstruction and rehabilitation, done respecting international and national standards under the supervision of the National Reconstruction Authority. WeWorld operates mostly in remote areas with the engagement of local communities and authorities. In September 2016 the project “PEAK! Partnership for Equity and Access in Kapilbastu”, co-funded by the European Commission [CSOs as partners in promoting enhanced equity and quality education in Nepal], has started. The project aims to enhance capacities of 18 local CSOs to promote equity and quality early childhood and basic education in 24 Community Schools (CSs) in 8 Village Development Committees (VDCs) in Kapilbastu District, in collaboration with local communities and local Government. The project will last 3 years and will be implemented in partnership with the Nepali NGO: Siddhartha Social Development Centre(SSDC), based in Kapilbastu, and Global Action Nepal, based in Kathmandu and expert in education. We World has signed a General Agreement with the Government of Nepal for the next 5 years, has an office in Katmandhu, with 10 national staff.
- The selected person will be in charge of representing WeWorld in the country, coordinating the activities, and ensuring the compliance with WeWorld managing process. Being based in Kathmandu, he/she will run and develop the activities through frequent field missions.
- Management of the program in Sindupalchock; Kathmandu and Kavre, assuring the access to education to all children in the intervention areas (reconstruction of school and support to the education system)
- Management of the “PEAK! Partnership for Equity and Access in Kapilbastu”
- Coordination with the local authorities (Social Welfare Council, Ministry of Education and District Level Authority) and the international network (OCHA, cluster education);
- Guarantee a constant communication between the local office and the HQ in Italy;
- Project monitoring and evaluation: to undertake regular visits to the project sites to gain a clear understanding of project conditions, requirements and constraints; to support WeWorld in evaluating of the projects; to supervise the partners in drawing up periodical and final reports;
- Office Management and Logistics: to ensure adequate procedures in managing the WeWorld Office (human, financial and physical resources) and provide logistic support to the missions undertaken by the headquarters for different purposes;
- Networking: to manage the relationship with the local authorities and to evaluate the possibility of creating partnerships with UN and other International agencies operating in the country;
- Application of the procedures: to ensure the compliance with the Management Model and the Ethical Code adopted by WeWorld according to the Dlgs 231/01.
Experiences and Knowledge
Particular consideration to applicants with a previous experience in Nepal
- University Degree
- Experience in management and implementation of international cooperation projects in the field (5 yrs), best if in Country Representative or Plan Coordinator Role.
- Strong administrative competencies and good knowledge of the Accountancy procedures of the main international donors
- Proved experience in writing projects for main donor agencies (UE, UN agencies, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, etc.)
- Mastery of the relevant technical tools (ex. Project Cycle Management)
- Preferably previous experience in management of child sponsorship programs
- Preferably previous experience in childhood projects, especially focused on primary education
- Italian mother tongue, proficiency in English both written and spoken
- Excellent in Excel
Expertise and Abilities
- Capable of working in team
- Excellent communication skill and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Problem solving skills
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics