The ISS is seeking an enthusiastic and pro-active individual to support communication for a new ISS programme – ENACT: Enhancing Africa’s response to transnational organised crime. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to develop their experience in a multifaceted and dynamic environment within a well-established non-profit organisation.
The ideal candidate should have experience in digital communication, new technologies and web based marketing. The candidate should also have outstanding written, visual and verbal communication skills. The position requires an organised, motivated and a flexible multi-tasker who is willing to take on a range of deadline-driven tasks at short notice.
This position will report to the ENACT Communication and Evaluation Officer, and the ENACT Programme Head.
The ENACT programme aims to enhance Africa’s response to transnational organised crime. This EU-funded programme will work to improve the knowledge base of transnational organised crime, and provide access to information and emerging trends.
Overview of duties
- Assist with website and social media management: upload new content; prepare and disseminate newsletters and mailers; regular and timely posting of appropriate and engaging messages and multimedia on social media platforms, including live tweeting from events
- Support media engagement and media monitoring by using online media monitoring platforms to track ENACT coverage and related themes
- Support visual communication and multi-media production: take pictures at events when required; upload images to ENACT flickr account; assist with the creation of infographics and other visual communication tools
- Assist with coordinating multimedia content, including sourcing quotes, transcribing interviews and writing video scripts
Overview of requirements
- A bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, communication studies, marketing or similar
- 3 - 5 years of work experience in communications, media and/or a non-profit environment. A background in journalism is desirable
- Experience in managing websites, including preparing and uploading content, maintaining the backend CMS and working with developers to solve technical issues
- Knowledge of best practice in website design, search engine optimisation techniques and a good understanding of emerging digital trends
- A strong track record of effectively using key social media platforms
- Experience of measuring the performance of websites and digital channels, and reporting against performance indicators
- Experience or interest in photography, videography and graphic design
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Writing and language-editing skills will be advantageous
- Proficiency in French, Portuguese and/or Arabic will be advantageous
- Able to think creatively and input own ideas
- Attention to detail
- Skilled and competent in using Microsoft packages including: MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Competence in Adobe Photoshop and inDesign a distinct advantage
- Ability to travel internationally as required
- Friendly, proactive and hard-working team-player
The initial length of the contract will be until 31 December 2019 and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance. A competitive salary is offered.