Co-founded in 1915 by Helen Keller, Helen Keller International is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the world’s vulnerable. We combat the causes and consequences of preventable blindness, malnutrition and diseases of poverty with more than 120 programs in 20 African and Asian countries, as well as in the United States. Renowned for its reliability, efficiency and high level of technical expertise, Helen Keller International promotes the development of large-scale, sustainable solutions to some of the most pressing issues in public health. We deliver scientific rigor and effectively leverage donor dollars with our hallmark characteristics of grit, compassion and integrity. If you share these characteristics, we invite you to apply to open positions at Helen Keller International.
Scope of Position:
The Global Communications team is seeking a Digital Communications Manager to help develop and implement an aggressive repositioning strategy and integrated marketing plan, focused on digital and targeting US-based donors and prospects designed to critically enhance and increase HKI’s reach and engagement.
Reporting to the Director of Global Communications, the Digital Communications Manager works closely with the Senior Communications Manager within the Global Communications team of the External Relations department. He/she will work closely with the Office of the President, the VP for External Relations, department colleagues and program colleagues across the global organization.
HKI has a matrixed reporting structure that respects both line management and authority within departments and regional hierarchies; and the accountability and oversight duties of subject matter experts outside of each department and region. Regular communication and a spirit of team work among colleagues, both hierarchically and laterally are essential to make this structure thrive.
- Proactively manage digital projects from start to finish. Work with project leads and international colleagues to develop briefs that clearly define objectives, audience targets, and content requirements.
- Execute on content delivery and campaigns for digital channels; oversee day-to-day maintenance and updates.
- Manage social media platforms and implement strategies to grow a community of engaged followers.
- Track and report on digital and social media metrics.
- Implement and measure both paid and organic digital marketing campaigns and search optimization.
- Manage and develop digital editorial/content calendar and asset libraries, which include photos, videos, stories, fact sheets, and branding tools and templates.
- Work closely with outside agencies, vendors, and creative professionals.
- Keep abreast of new trends and technologies, implement and update HKI efforts to establish baselines and achieve buildable models and upgrades for digital platforms and products.
Cross-Departmental Content Production
- Coordinate with global teams to produce compelling content and execute marketing campaigns for use across HKI platforms, publications, and promotions.
- Work with supervisors to coordinate project deliverables, production schedules and meeting agendas with strategic working groups and global communities of practice; provide timely and clear reporting to key stakeholders.
- Act as point-person for communications support requests; organize cross-team collaborations and assist local content creators/program colleagues to reach shared brand and project goals.
- Support the implementation of brand management policies and processes.
- Field queries sent through the communications inboxes.
- Traffic invoices for department expenses and provide light administrative and operational support as needed.
- Experience with SEO and PPC (Google AdWords and Analytics, Facebook Business Manager)
- Experience in open source CMS platforms (Drupal, WordPress a plus).
- Experience with design and editing tools (Adobe Creative Suite Professional a plus).
- Knowledge of media delivery and monitoring platforms (HootSuite, Meltwater a plus).
- Knowledge of CRM and enterprise email clients (Blackbaud and Luminate a plus)
- Excellent communication skills; familiarity and interest in diverse global teams.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with focus and experience in synthesizing complex content into essential, compelling messages. Special emphasis on creative/persuasive and short-form copy writing the for the web.
- Savvy, flexible, versatile, self-starter; creative thinker and innovator, with ability to develop and implement new ideas both independently and as a team member.
- Passionate, enthusiastic, and solution-oriented. Strong interpersonal skills and a track record of project management troubleshooting.
- Ability to work independently but with strong accountability, driving projects effectively from conceptual stages to launch, and handling multiple and often competing deadlines.
- Minimum 5-7 years related experience in an integrated communications setting, plus Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent combination of training and experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in marketing, public relations, or fundraising preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit, international affairs and development activities a plus.
- Personal commitment to HKI’s mission and goals and the values embodied by HKI co-founder, Helen Keller: compassion, grit, and optimism. Sense of humor also preferred.
- US work authorization and residence in or willingness to relocate to the NY metro area.