Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship, so that young ambitious people are empowered to lead their post-conflict society into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing not-for-profit development organization with 80 staff members that helps young entrepreneurs to start or grow their own businesses. SPARK helps displaced youth to access higher education in conflict areas. Moreover, SPARK assists post-secondary education institutions to reform their curricula to better meet the needs of the labour markets. Based in Amsterdam, SPARK has offices in among others Abidjan, Amman, Beirut, Belgrade, Bujumbura, Gaziantep, Erbil, Hargeisa, Juba, Kigali, Mitrovica, Monrovia, Ramallah, Sanaa and Tunis.
SPARK is currently looking to fill the position of:
Education Manager Syria
Under supervision of the Regional Project Manager, the Education Manager Syria (EMS) will be responsible for all activities of SPARK in Syria (Syrian Interim Government controlled territory) that provide Syrians access to Higher Education in Syria. SPARK is establishing six Higher Vocational institutes in Syria that need strong support in management capacity and curriculum development.
The EMS will provide this support from SPARK’s Gaziantep office. Support entails strengthening and developing curriculum with these institutes, co-organising workshops on improving capacity with international experts and other support as required. This also includes enabling Syrian staff to visit Gaziantep and keeping the security policy up to date. The EMS will also oversee all student intake and progress in Syria overall. The position will require extensive travelling in the region and, at a lager stage, possibly inside Syria (depending on the security situation).
• Coordinating the improvement of six Higher Education (HE) institutes in Syrian Interim Government controlled areas within Syria;
• Monitoring overall student intake and progress in Syria;
• Supporting six HE institutes in developing curriculum, possibly including blended learning;
• Supporting six HE institutes in improving management and teaching capacity;
• Organising bi-monthly workshops with international experts in Gaziantep for HE institutes staff;
• Supporting the project manager with input for narrative reports, presentations and other communication to donors and partners on progress in Syria;
• Maintain good relations with local authorities, the SIG and the international community working in Syria;
• Coordinate outreach activities for students in Syria;
• Provide organizational and logistical support for other missions and ongoing activities in the region;
• Other tasks as required.
• Educational background or relevant experience in Higher Education or TVET sector and/or conflict studies/international development;
• Minimum 10 years of experience in curriculum development and capacity building in the education sector;
• Minimum 5 years of experience in working with TVET sector in conflict countries or war zones;
• Proven experience in the region, preferably in Syria;
• Good communication and social skills and the ability to work in a multicultural setting.
• Knowledge of the political and economic situation in Syria;
• Accurate, structured and precise;
• Flexible and responsible;
• Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
• Fluency in Turkish is an advantage.
• Remuneration according to relevant work experience;
• International and dynamic working environment;
• Full-time contract for 12 months with possibility for extension
We are looking for candidates who can start as soon as possible
If you are interested, please send your letter of motivation and your CV before (in English) to email@example.com with Reference: Education Manager Syria
* Due to a large volume of applicants, we cannot respond to every applicant. After the deadline for application we will screen all applications invite selected applicants for the first round of interviews. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
For questions about the vacancy, please contact Kaan Ozdurak: firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 20 753 0311.