Job title: Emerging Markets Manager
Based in: PSI South Africa Head office, Irene, Pretoria
Employment Status: Permanent
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
Develop and lead the implementation of PSI South Africa’s geographic expansion strategy into Africa, through the execution of insight based marketing and sales strategies in existing “export” countries; coupled with the evaluation and successful entry into countries identified as having potential to significantly deliver against PSI South Africa’s sales, growth and profit objectives.
ANNUAL STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT – Time Spent: 20%
- Develop annual commercial strategies for existing “emerging” markets (Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia) covering a 3 year planning horizon and incorporating the following:
- Category and brand plans (to be developed in conjunction with marketing) covering:
- Economic projections;
- Industry, category and competitor insights;
- Research based consumer insights;
- Brand vision and positioning;
- Effort priorities;
- Phased advertising and co-promotional expenditure plans;
- Category and brand P&L projections covering market shares, volumes, sales revenue, G+COGs, marketing expenditure, profitability and growth projections;
- Innovation plans.
- Develop channel and or key account strategies for all key channels and customers incorporating:
- SMART objectives;
- Pricing / discount strategies aimed at driving brand growth, channel and key account margin and profit objectives;
- SKU Ranging and distribution targets;
- Co-promotional support grids.
- Present annual strategic plans for buy-in from the Management Team and approval by the General Manager.
- Quarterly review of achievements against approved plans
EXECUTION OF MARKETING AND SALES STRATEGIES – Time Spent: 30%
- Work with the SA marketing team and Global Marketing to execute approved marketing strategies:
- Develop and execute Effort Priority based brand activities including but not limited to ATL advertising, BTL consumer promotional activity, consumer research, instore promotional activity, packaging, POS material, PR and digital marketing;
- Evaluate and report on brand performance including sales, COGs and profitability via monthly review of brand profit and loss statements – identifying issues and opportunities and recommending remedial action where necessary;
- Utilise available tools e.g. trade / distributor data, in combination with ad hoc consumer and market research, to monitor brand health in the areas of brand equity, market shares, distribution and instore visibility;
- Drive the implementation of consumer insight based innovation.
- Drive an efficient demand planning process by coordinating marketing, sales and supply chain inputs via the consensus forecast process.
- Where relevant, drive customer and channel growth and profitability through effective customer management:
- Build PSI “expert” category status and leverage market dominance to optimise our role in managing the category;
- Effective management of agreed pricing / discounts;
- Implementation of cost effective promotional grids;
- Drive category innovation;
- Regular performance reviews.
- Work closely with appointed in-country distribution / sales / merchandising agents to execute the annual sales strategy to ensure optimal availability and visibility of PSI brands through performance monitoring against set goals in the following areas:
- Sales volume and value;
- Brand market shares;
- Forward shares;
- Using a “bottom-up” approach, develop and recommend annual and monthly sales volume and value targets for input into the annual budgeting process.
- Actively participate in the monthly consensus forecast process, providing evidence-based recommendations for monthly sales forecasts.
- Set and communicate to all sales resources, realistic monthly sales targets for countries and channels.
- Monitor and communicate daily and monthly performance against set targets.
- Proactively identify under-performance trends from sales resources and implement remedial action as required.
NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT – Time Spent: 30%
- Drive the development and execution of PSI South Africa’s geographic expansion agenda into Southern and East Africa:
- Identify potential expansion markets – currently on the table are Malawi, Uganda and Ethiopia;
- Conduct market visits to gain a full understanding of the potential for PSI South Africa’s brands within those markets;
- Develop and present comprehensive launch recommendations (including 5-year P&L projections) for identified markets – for approval by the PSI South Africa GM and the Social Enterprise Director;
- Develop comprehensive launch strategies incorporating launch milestones and associated responsibilities;
- Identify and appoint suitable distribution, sales and merchandising partners for all approved markets.
- Manage launches in approved markets including 3, 6 and 12-month performance reviews.
- DEVELOP AND LEAD A DYNAMIC, INTEGRATED COMMERCIAL TEAM – Time Spent: 10%
- Work closely with PSI South Africa’s Supply Chain team to:
- ensure uninterrupted supply of stock to meet sales demand;
- ensure compliance with all warehousing and storage requirements at market level;
- optimize logistics costs for supply;
- comply with all legal, regulatory and quality management system requirements.
- Work closely with PSI South Africa’s marketing team to execute consumer and customer marketing activities aligned with regional brand strategies.
- Develop and effectively manage “best in class” 3rd party sales agents for all markets:
- Develop and implement effective performance monitoring processes for all agents;
- Schedule monthly review / cycle meetings with all sales agents which facilitate performance reviews and communication of critical marketing and sales activities;
- Conduct formal quarterly and annual performance reviews for all sales agents.
- Develop and implement “best practice” processes by:
- On-going inspection of process effectiveness and quality;
- Understanding process bottlenecks;
- Proactively identifying opportunities for process improvement.
- Ensure the seamless flow of information between the Emerging Markets team and the Marketing and Sales, Finance and Supply Chain teams, thereby facilitating effective communication and achievement of company strategic objectives.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT – Time Spent: 10%
Annual Budget Process:
- Provide evidence-based recommendations for input into the annual budget process relating to sales forecasts, pricing and discounts, marketing and co-promotional expenditure, marketing and sales overheads.
- Monitor and review month and year to date performance in the above areas.
- Develop monthly phased overhead budget for the Emerging Markets team as part of the annual budget process;
- Reconcile actual spend versus budget and report variances monthly;
- Update planned expenditure monthly based on actual variances against budget.
Brand Profit and Loss Management: Review monthly finance pack in advance of the monthly Management Meeting with a view to providing constructive input into the finance review.
Pricing and Discounts:
- Monitor in-field pricing to aid in the minimization of price based trade claims;
- Take remedial steps to resolve any price variances versus list pricing;
- Effectively utilise ATD’s budget to drive sales volumes;
- Communicate pricing variances as well as competitor activity on an on-going basis to the Management Team.
- Active participation in the following scheduled monthly forums:
- Management Meeting
- Consensus Forecast Meeting
- Sales and Marketing Meeting
- Innovation Meeting
What are we looking for?
Job Evaluation Criteria
- Education and Experience
- Formal Education
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree
- Post graduate degree preferable
- Technical/Legal Certification
- Any related certification would be an advantage
- 10 years’ experience in the FMCG sales environment
- 3 to 5 years sales experience in markets in Southern and East Africa
- 5 years’ experience in a senior management role
- Practical experience in or exposure to marketing and key accounts management
- Intimate knowledge of the FMCG sales environment Southern and/or East Africa
- Thorough understanding of marketing principles coupled with some practical experience
- Exposure to supply chain and logistics
- General business acumen
- Strong leadership skills
- Negotiation skills
- Financial and numeracy skills
- Above average written and spoken communication skills
- Above average negotiation skills
- Computer skills – PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Self-starter – able to deliver under pressure with minimal supervision
- Strategically inclined
- Results focused – able to drive accountability
- Team player
- Other Special Requirements: Able to travel locally and internationally
Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.