We are looking for our delegation in South Sudan for a
Location and working conditions: Yei – South Sudan
Activity rate: 100%
Start date of post: 03.01.2017
Duration : 6 months
Deadline: Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is ongoing until the position is filled.
Swiss salaried contract 3’898 CHF (~3’100 €) < > 5’050 CHF (~4’000 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Juba became the world newest national capital on the 9th July 2011, when South Sudan formally declared its independence from the Republic of Sudan. In December 2013 a conflict broke out between the President (Salva Kiir) and former Vice President (Riek Machar). Numerous ceasefires were mediated between the SPLA (Sudan’s People Liberation Army) and SPLA- IO (in opposition) but were subsequently broken.
In August 2015 an Agreement of the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan was signed between the parties in conflict, nevertheless the violence never stopped in the country and the metaphorical road toward real peace still looks very difficult.
Our intervention in GPAA / Boma state has started in March 2015 with the implementation of a program, which aimed at providing psychosocial, social and economic assistance to Children formerly Associated with Armed Forces and Armed Groups (CAFAAG) for their reintegration. Since January 2016, Tdh has also been implementing a Wash & Child Protection intervention in the same area.
In November 2016, Tdh launched an assessment in Yei to understand the specific household level living conditions to determine the immediate humanitarian needs of the affected population, with a focus on uncovered priority needs of conflict-affected children, and provide recommendations for emergency interventions in Yei. Tdh will now open a new base in Yei and start activities early 2017.
Main responsibilities :
Child Protection Policy
- Commits to respect the Child Protection Policy;
- Commits to ensure the best implementation possible of the Child Protection Policy in Yei, including participation in annual audit, and reviews and updates of action plan;
- Commits to inform the Country Representative and/or the Child Project Programme Manager and/or the Desk Officer and to deal with any case of any allegations or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Child Protection Policy.
- Supervises the Child Protection Project Manager, Administrator, Logistician and additional expatriate resources as posted in Yei;
- Receives updates and makes recommendations to the Country Representative, Administrative and Logistics’ Officers concerning programme, security and administrative issues.
Programme Strategy and planning
- Manages programming aspects of the Yei operations in line with Tdh and donors’ standards;
- In collaboration with the Country Representative, designs strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries;
- Participates in the review of the strategy for Tdh in South Sudan;
- Ensures the representation towards stakeholders in Yei.
Corporate Policies, Management Systems and Procedures
- Contributes towards promoting and adhering to Terre des hommes’ Charter, Code of Conduct and Operating Principles.
- Acts as the instrument of management and facilitation for programme activities; ensures proper office functioning for the achievement of support roles and tasks while respecting budget and timeline parameters; a service-oriented support outlook will be maintained by support staff members;
- Follows and ensures respect of programme action plans; facilitates exchange and troubleshooting; follows up on Country Representative’s orientations;
- Contributes to proposal drafting as requested; review and edit final versions;
- Facilitates coordination among key staff members of Programmes, Administration and Logistic teams in Yei;
- Organises internal coordination meetings and workshops for cross-departmental issues and planning purposes in Yei;
- Participates to internal coordination in Juba addressing operational highlights;
- Organises, maintains, and supports a ‘back up’ system for key Tdh staff for coverage during work absences. Networks with other NGOs and entities in the interest of information sharing and best practices.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supports programme managers in desining and implementing a monitoring and evaluation system to evaluate programme results and makes recommendations for future programme directions;
- In collaboration with the programme managers, ensures daily monitoring of activities;
- In coordination with the Country Representative, monitors and evaluates monthly programme progress and makes recommendations;
- In collaboration with the South Sudan teams and the HQ Emergency Desk Officer and resource persons ensures follow up on technical remarks;
- Facilitates the external evaluation as required by management and integrates recommendations in work plans.
General Administration ad Logistics for Yei Base
- Maintains signatory schedule for purchase and payment authorisations;
- In collaboration with the Administration Officer and Country Representative, reviews monthly budget vs. actual reports in order to orient future budgetary expenditures and allocations;
- Respects transparent management procedures as defined in the Tdh South Sudan Staff Regulations and in accordance with the salary scale.
Human ressources management
- Works with the Expatriate Managers to encourage and empower South Sudanese national staff;
- Raises any questions to the Country Representative and/or the Administration Officer regarding Tdh compliance with basic requirements of the local law in respect to employment conditions and related matters;
- Leads and manages programming staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, especially on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration and harmonizing approaches;
- Coordinates with the Country Representative and the Administration Officer to assure accurate leave and R&R planning for expatriates working in Yei and implement annual plan of staff leave days;
- Assists the expatriate managers in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training for all staff as appropriate;
- Ensures regular performance appraisals and encourages the personal development plans and the identification of training needs;
- Ensures that project managers conduct disciplinary and grievance procedures and exit interviews, as necessary.
- Respects Terre des hommes security procedures in South Sudan and verifies with Logistician regarding readiness in adherence;
- Insures, in coordination with the Logistician and with the support of the Country Representative, that Tdh inpats and expats are aware of Tdh security procedures and follow them;
- Receives primary indications for security matters from the Logistician and from a variety of other sources (Inter-agency coordination, INGOs, staff, beneficiaries) and share relevant information with the rest of the South Sudan team;
- In Yei,(s)he leads the design and update of 1. Security plan documents, 2. Reporting of staff lists for UN evacuation plan, and 3. Existence and correct update of emergency kits.
- Makes recommendations to the Country Representative regarding security issues, including enacting hibernation and/or evacuation plans;
- Acts as the local Tdh focal point for monitoring visits and local queries posed by donors;
- Ensures overall Tdh coordination with the UN agencies and government in Yei and operational representation where relevant in South Sudan, including the sharing of information and reporting;
- In coordination with the Country Representative, guarantees that all formalities required by the government are prepared properly, kept up to date, and presented punctually;
- Attends or delegates attendance to appropriate external humanitarian meetings, both general and sector, in order to ensure Tdh’s aims and activities are shared with humanitarian partners.
- Produces a monthly report and submit it to the Country Representative;
- Using field perspective, integrates context assessment of Yei into reporting and communications; identifies geopolitical trends and indicators which may impact programme activities in South Sudan;
- Coordinates, prepares and elaborates institutional donor reports for submission to the Country Representative;
- Ensures timely submission of monthly Situation Reports by programme managers.
- Extensive project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and/or development programme
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Extensive experience in expatriate team management
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position/high management position in the field
- Significant knowledge and experience in logistics, admin and finance
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and development work
- Advanced IT skills
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator
- Ability to work under pressure
Child Protection Policy:
- To commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Protection Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- To commit to ensure the best implementation possible of th Tdh Risk Management Policies in South Sudan
- To commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
HOW TO APPLY:
Please postulate on our website: www.tdh.ch/en/jobs We will only consider complete online applications corresponding to the required profile. Your application must include a complete CV and a covering letter. If you are not shortlisted, your file will be destroyed by us, according to the rules on data protection.
If you face difficulties in applying online, please contact our HR department: email@example.com
Terre des hommes provides equal working conditions for men and women. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
The recruitment and selection procedures of Terre des hommes reflect our commitment for child security and protection.