A Searcher understands our vision of a world where: Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values. Shared Humanity.Empathy.Impartiality. Inclusivity.Courage. Hope. Humility.Audacity. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
Our Program in Nigeria We launched our programs in Nigeria in 2004. Now in 2017, the country program has offices in Abuja, Jos, Maiduguri, and Yola. We work with partners in target states of the country to support peaceful resolution of conflict. Each program is adapted to specific local context and conflicts, and all apply common ground tools from our toolbox.
Search has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base and all our Nigeria offices are currently supporting a host of programs with activities that include capacity building, dialogues, peace architecture, media programming, participatory theatre and collaborative joint activities.
We are searching for
Summary of Position
Finance Assistant will be responsible for ensuring SFCG systems and procedures of internal controls are followed when committing financial transactions in SFCG offices and ensuring there is enough cash to implement the program activities. This role works under the direct supervision of the Finance and Accounts Coordinator, Maiduguri . The position will be based in Maiduguri.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Preparation of payment vouchers
- Rubber stamping ‘paid’ on all such documents once checks and cash vouchers are signed before filing
- Maintain an organized , well documented, and sequential filing system for all cash and check disbursement vouchers. (all files must be labeled properly and visibly).
- Preparation of cheque register and updating it.
- Ensure that once check are signed they are collected by vendors and signed for proper identification of the person collecting and details indicated in the checks release register
PETTY CASH MANAGEMENT
- Assisting in keeping the Petty Cash in the absence of Admin/Logistic Associate Coordinator.
- Maintain petty cash at the set limit ensuring no cash shortage at all times.
- Prepare the petty cash upload spreadsheet to upload stage ready for review by Finance/accounts coordinator before submission
- Perform supervised petty cash counts every Friday
- Carryout banking transactions e.g. deposit and withdrawal etc.
- Ensure that all cash received is duly receipted, coded and promptly banked
- Assist in preparation of bank reconciliation statement on a monthly basis for SFCG bank account
- Ensuring scanning and kofax of all finance documents of SFCG and Partners.
- Conducting of Terrorist Check for vendors, partners and periodic for Staff.
- Ensure that files with original documentations are sent to the head office on a monthly basis and duplicate files are maintained for field use.
- Carrying out finance coordinator duties in his/her absence.
- Be adaptable and flexible with a view to taking on board new tasks and new assignments in due course
- To act at all times in accordance with US and Nigerian Law and Standard accounting practice.
- Ensure that all staff time sheet and Payment slip are duly signed and collected Monthly on timely basis
- Any other duties as may be assigned by finance and accounts coordinator.
- 1-2 year's relevant experience with a minimum of bachelor's degree or its equivalent. CPA Qualified is a plus
- Knowledge of fund accounting, procurement and financial management
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Supportive personnel management style and ability to work independently and as a team
- Demonstrate integrity and promote SFCG values and ethical standards;
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic objectives of SFCG;
- Demonstrate capacity to adapt to a multi-cultural context, and tolerance and respect to issues related to gender, religion, race and nationality;
- Expertise in developing concept notes and proposal for different donors;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism and solves problems in collaborative ways
- Fluency in oral and written English and Hausa is essential;
- Good knowledge of other local languages will be an asset.