The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of the Finance Assistant position is to provide Financial or technical support in a specialist area of work, either support functions or Core Competences.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated.
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team.
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
- Assists in the development of the department budget and ensures spending remains within acceptable variances.
- Supports the Manager in addressing any personnel matters within the department.
- Verifies and records department staff compliance with the agency’s administrative and financial policies and procedures, including travel expense claims and staff attendance reports.
- Prepares financial, expenditures and payment authorization forms.
- Be in - charge of all financial matters in Tirin Kot office.
- Be responsible for verifying of payments to contractors, & other payments as stipulated in the contract/agreement(s) & in line with NRC Financial policies and procedures.
- Analysis financial information and prepare financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain all financial records properly (hard copy and soft version).
- Verification of staff salary payroll, periderm, travel and other allowances.
- Shall verify all purchase requests and cash advances.
- Shall participate in all suppliers bidding selection committees.
- Be responsible to make cash forecast on monthly basis and send to Herat office for the process.
- Prepare vouchers and their supporting documents.
- Assist to maintain hard and soft filing system.
- Maintain budget tracking sheet.
- Maintain and follow supplier, landlord and payroll tax clearing forms.
- Prepare monthly tax reports.
- Prepare bank reconciliation of bank account.
- Perform other duties as required from his supervisor.
- Bachelors level education is required.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role/position in an INGO or humanitarian agency.
- Good in English, Dari and Pashto, both written and verbal.
- Having knowledge of asset management and reporting.
- Good computer skills - MS Office & database.
- Good control and supervisory skills.
- Good communication skills.
Education title: Bachelors level education is required.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law