The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
The Finance Assistant provides support to the finance team in all financial issues of the DRC Office in Erbil. The Finance Assistant is responsible for supporting improvements in all financial functions including petty cash and payments, as well as ensuring general administrative and documentation support to the Erbil office.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Making cash payments and managing cash and clearances in accordance with DRC’s policies and financial systems.
- Tracking payments and petty cash reports; entering into cashbooks as necessary.
- Preparing payments for suppliers/contractors and undertaking representation and liaison with banks and other finance-related institutions.
- Scanning all financial documents and finalizing coversheets, filing all documentation and taking responsibility for archives.
- Transferring documents between Erbil and Kirkuk.
- To ensure that all payments are made in a timely manner with the appropriate authorizations.
- To ensure that all payments are done only if supported by vouchers and supporting documents complying with DRC and donor requirements.
- To ensure that all DRC templates existing along the Supply Chain (ORs, POs, Bid analysis, Contracts…) are signed and authorised before proceeding to payment.
- To check all cash, including petty cash transfers to sub-offices if any.
- Preparing all support document for CfW payments.
- Undertake payment to beneficiaries / Cash for Work, in line with DRC policy.
- Conduct a physical Cash Count on a daily basis, release of signed Cash Count and clearing all Cash.
- To notify Erbil Finance of any rebooking that is considered necessary, in coordination with Head of Field Office.
- To assist in budgeting procedures.
- To support internal and external audits as instructed by the Line Manager.
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
- Ensure transparency and DRC’s positive regard and reputation within communities.
- Any other related financial duties as agreed with the Line Manager.
Reports to: Finance Team Leader / Finance Officer
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- University degree in the relevant field, such as Accounting
- At least 2 years working within the Financial Department of an INGO, or familiarity with the financial systems.
- Experience with filing and archiving
- Understanding of documentation involved in logistics, procurement and programmes in relation to providing humanitarian assistance to people in need
- Relevant computer skills; proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills; goal/result-oriented.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Systematic planning skills.
- Demonstrable ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making.
- Punctual, professional and self- motivated, capable of independent work and under pressure, showing initiative
- Flexibility, tolerance, maturity and respect for working within a multicultural environment.
Competency profile: Good computer skills (especially MS Word and Excel)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.