UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - IPAS
Based in UNOPS Headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) unit provides strategic project implementation advice and operational support services to field offices under the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR), Asia Regional Office (AR), Middle East Regional Office (MR), Africa Regional Office (AFR), the Peace and Security Cluster, and UNOPS HQ units for HR and Legal support.
IPAS provides support in the areas of Procurement, Legal, Finance, Human Resources and Admin. By collecting and analyzing information on interactions with several offices, IPAS creates training plans and makes recommendations for more efficient project implementation processes.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Regional Practice Advisor – Finance and direct supervisor, the Finance Assistant in IPAS Finance at Headquarters, Copenhagen, provides financial assistance ensuring high quality, accuracy and effective execution of financial services and processes and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to Banking & Treasury operations
- Account reconciliation, bank reconciliation
- Assistance in finance and accounting to support IPAS Finance team
Support to Banking & Treasury operations:
- Preparation and initiation of vouchers and review of supporting documents to ensure completeness, accuracy and correctness of accounts codes charges; entry of transactions in the computerized accounting and finance system;
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing to ensure that documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of services rendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials; payment to sub-contractors are in compliance with terms and conditions of agreement;
- Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations, rules
- i.e. disbursements within authorized limits, payroll, contractual agreements, payments to suppliers, travel claims, etc;
- Review and confirmation of validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensuring availability of budget and funds;
- Respond to banking and payment queries from vendors and UNOPS offices;
- Follow up and resolve payment rejections with UNOPS bank and financial institutions;
Account reconciliation and bank reconciliation :
- Perform reconciliation of General Ledger accounts and verify data accuracy in a comprehensive manner, involving field offices and third partied when required;
- Be responsible for the timeliness provision and correctness of financial data coming from field offices and other third parties;
- Perform bank reconciliation of bank accounts with thoughtful accuracy and timely action in line with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations.
Assistance in finance and accounting to support IPAS Finance team
- Communication with colleagues/clients in areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information, etc. to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process;
- Verify and check accuracy and completeness of data;
- Facilitate meetings, training, workshops, conferences and seminars;
- Assist in drafting reports and minutes during the meetings;
- Support the finance team providing assistance during peak workload or back up as necessary, to ensure completion of work objectives.
- Secondary education/High school diploma is required.
- University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’) in Finance, Economics, Business Administration, International Business, Management or other finance-related fields may substitute for some of the required years of experience
- 2 years of relevant finance experience is required at the national or international level.
- Proficient experience with office software packages (MS Office) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database is required.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
- Experience with SharePoint or other software would be an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Proficient knowledge of French and/or Spanish is desirable.
- Knowledge of other UN working language would be an asset.