About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Tunisia since 2017, and aims to build the capacity of emerging and existing non-politicized civil society actors, while developing livelihood opportunities for youth (including through employability, entrepreneurship skills and access to financial services) and increasing civic engagement around communities’ needs (including conflict mitigation and emergency response). Mercy Corps Tunisia focuses on empowering vulnerable individuals and groups in marginalized areas to develop productive initiatives that build secure and just communities. Our programs focus on:
- Integrating youth into the workforce, by developing opportunities for employment and skills development
- Supporting financial inclusion of vulnerable populations underserved by financial services (e.g. Youth, women, rural populations)
- Stimulating market development in sectors with the potential for job and wealth creation
- Promoting local governance, by encouraging constructive dialogue between local authorities, private sector and civil society
- Reducing the causes of marginalization, exclusion and radicalization of vulnerable population groups in Tunisia
- Integration of migration related questions in local development
With funding from the EU, AFD, ROTA, DCI Monaco, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in Tunisia to respond to these priorities, bringing benefit to more than 150,000 beneficiaries in 2016
General Position Summary
The Finance & Compliance Manager is a member of the Country Management Team and part of the Mercy Corps Finance Department, and as such is responsible for all aspects of financial management of the country programs, working collaboratively to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations. S/he works under the direction of the Country Director and is responsible for all financial functions in Tunisia, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance. The Finance & Compliance Manager, in support of the Program Department, provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- Develop the capacity of the team (6 national team members), deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Visit field offices to perform reviews, training, and provide oversight.
- Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Ensure grant budgeting at proposal level. Develop and maintain budget analysis and forecasting systems with the Program Managers.
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs.
- Oversee monthly standard accounting package submissions to Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project, required subgrantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee monthly management reports to the Country Director, including expenditures by cost center/project, subgrantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Country Director
- Effectively stay abreast of donor and Mercy Corps regulations, and train Mercy Corps and partner team members on these regulations.
- Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ procurement policies and procedures for all goods and services.
- Maintain the system of country-specific policies, procedures and work instructions to ensure know-how and processes are transparent, compliant with applicable regulation and resilient to staff turnover.
- Review and monitor subawards financial reporting and compliance. Provide assistance and capacity building to partners as necessary to maintain high standard of compliance.
- Provide coaching and capacity building to the teams on finance, subawards management, and compliance matters
- Analyze and maintain appropriate local insurance coverage to protect Mercy Corps, with the Operations Department.
- Perform internal audits and reviews as required to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps ad donor’s requirements.
- Oversee audits of grants and statutory audits
Influence & Representation
- Interface with donor representatives to convey information about programs as appropriate.
- Communicate with our local and international partners, to verify their systems and ensure they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Participate in sharing best practices with NGOs and governmental agencies.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Country Director
Works Directly With: HQ Regional Finance Officer (with authority for technical financial matters); members of Operations, Program Managers, TSU team members, and others
Knowledge and Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 4 years of progressive financial management experience, including supervisory experience required.
- At least 4 years’ experience in grants management as well as an understanding of EU regulations required.
- At least 3 years’ international experience required; international NGO/PVO field office experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English and French skills required.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Knowledge of Arabic.
- Experience working in North Africa
- Knowledge of AFD regulations.