The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are seeking to fill the position of Finance Officer at the P3 level, based in Amman, Jordan.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). In the field these jobs provide broad finance, budgeting and accounting services. In HQ these jobs operate within a narrower finance specialism. Job holders typically report to a more senior Finance Officer or the Country/Deputy Country Director. Depending on the size and needs of the office or unit, the job may cover all aspects of finance, budget, and administration, or it may emphasize finance or more of these aspects. Job holders at this level work independently, using technical knowledge and expertise to analyse data, prepare reports, provide advice and solutions to problems, and identify opportunities for improvements. They may develop core processes and procedures.
To manage the stewardship of WFP’s resources through monitoring financial and accounting data, analysing, and reporting and providing technical advice to enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible. To establish team priorities and work plan.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support corporate finance and resource management strategies by contributing to the development of policies and procedures for Country Offices (CO) or Headquarters (Rome, Italy) based units, participating in key programmatic initiatives, and embedding value for money in these initiatives through advice on financial assessment, reporting and accounting.
- Lead on the implementation of CO finance, budgeting and resource management operations, in order to support the timely and effective supply of food assistance, and comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Carry out regular visits to Area/Field Offices as appropriate and assist in clarifying and improving proper application of policies and procedures, and prepare comprehensive reports on findings with improvement action plans.
- Lead on the delivery of accurate financial reporting and analyses in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), ensuring accuracy, deadlines and compliance with accounting processes and corporate governance requirements.
- Provide financial assessment of partners, service providers, and other entities as needed, providing conclusions to management to enable them to make informed decisions and minimize financial risk to the organisation.
- Ensure that bank reconciliation, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures are performed regularly and in accordance with corporate requirements.
- Monitor and analyse financial and accounting data, identifying and forecasting trends, anomalies or issues, and proposing solutions to management with regards to: status of budgets, availability of funds, programme effectiveness and financial viability.
- Identify and develop improvements to policies, systems and procedures in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, minimise risk, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
- Advise and support CO on internal controls for segregation of duties and undertake periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
- Supervision of a team of finance staff, establishing priorities and work plans, monitoring progress, and providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognised professional accountancy body such as Associated of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accountants (ICPA) or equivalent.
- At least five years of progressively responsible postgraduate professional experience in finance.
- Experience in roles with great independence, decision making authority, supervision and guidance of staff, establishing priorities and work plans, and managing complex budgets.
- Experience in the analysis and reporting on key data, financial information, and outcomes of projects.
- Experience with performing bank reconciliations, disbursements, and clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of financial management and reporting;
- Training and/or experience utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems, including SAP and other ERP systems;
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Ability to provide technical advice to managers on a broad range of financial, human resources and other administrative matters;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks within tight timeline;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with different stakeholders;
- People management skills, with the ability to supervise and bring the best out of staff.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience in specialized finance area in a country office.
- Has developed financial policies and procedures.