- Join a fun, flexible, innovative and inclusive not-for-profit team
- Create a niche in a new role with significant programmatic and financial impact
- Position EWB's work to tangibly harness the potential of humanitarian engineering
- Role is ONLY open to Australian/ New Zealand citizens and/ or permanent residents
Engineers Without Borders Australia (EWB) is a 'small giant’ – an innovative organisation at the nexus of engineering education, business and community development. We work to:
- enable appropriate solutions to alleviate poverty and accelerate inclusive sustainable development
- redefine engineering as a community centred profession providing leadership for a more sustainable world
- inspire and mobilise a global community in engineering for social change.
We strongly believe every engineer can be a change agent for a socially just and sustainable world. This drives EWB to lead a movement of like-minded individuals and companies, who work together to increase the social impact created by Australian and international engineers.
EWB's way of working is fun, flat and flexible! Our staff make important strategic decisions themselves, wear multiple hats across our core work areas, and play to their strengths whilst working within agile teams. If you are a self-driven high performer who values thought leadership, innovation and ongoing professional development, we'd welcome your application.
About your role
A new role, the Grants and Fundraising Operations Lead is one linchpin to EWB’s sustainability strategy. You will generate significant value for EWB by successfully sourcing, scoping, writing and delivering aligned grant opportunities, in close partnership with EWB’s Major Relationships Lead, program teams and partners.
Using your well-honed critical thinking and communication skills, you’ll work alongside EWB staff to genuinely understand our value proposition and work, so grant proposals are collectively created. Alongside the Major Relationships Lead, you’ll support EWB’s CEO and program leads to insightfully articulate EWB’s core value proposition as it aligns to our strategies, resourcing and submissions. With EWB’s Major Relationships Lead and Corporate Partnership Coordinator, you’ll additionally align relevant grant opportunities with major donor, philanthropic and corporate partner objectives.
Your grants leadership will be balanced with your ability to delve into fundraising management. You’ll proactively build relationships with our monthly donors, support EWB’s Corporate Coordinator to manage EWB’s workplace giving program and assist EWB’s Office Optimiser to maintain minor donor relationships. You’ll share your insights about our core stakeholders with EWB’s Content Producer, supporting them to develop tailored communications for these groups.
You demonstrate know-how of the NGO sector, skillfully balance diverse priorities and ask insightful questions to understand what makes EWB unique. You are a quick learner, translating your acquired knowledge concisely and compellingly into successful grant applications. Your engineering or associated technical sector knowledge is a bonus, but not mandatory.
Grant and proposal development and implementation (80%)
- Collaboratively lead EWB’s grants cycle. With program leads, proactively identify and progress grant opportunities aligned to EWB’s programmatic, technical and/or geographic portfolios. Build EWB’s pipeline and clearly articulate grants EWB should prioritise and pursue
- In close partnership with staff, develop submissions for these opportunities, overseeing pre-grant activities and post-submission follow-up to continue the sustainability of EWB's work
- Collaborate with EWB’s Major Relationships Lead and Corporate Partnerships Coordinator to write shared proposals with existing major donors, corporate or philanthropic foundations
- Partner with EWB staff to deeply understand EWB’s value proposition, strategic and program priorities and brand offering, articulating these to strengthen our grant submissions
- Introduce robust thought leadership to EWB about innovative grant, proposal or collaborative impact opportunities, supporting EWB’s Major Relationships Lead in this aspect.
Fundraising management across EWB’s programs (20%)
- Manage reporting and acquittals as per contractual requirements for all grants; in alignment with EWB’s corporate, major donor and philanthropic relationships
- In partnership with EWB’s Corporate Coordinator, manage Workplace Giving Program, Monthly Supporter Program and community fundraising (Everyday Hero, Karma Currency, etc.)
- In partnership with EWB’s Office Optimiser, manage EWB’s once-off minor donors
- Collaborate closely with EWB’s Content Producer, sharing your insights into EWB’s key audiences that will translate to tangible campaign and communications content
- Use Salesforce to manage data on EWB’s income pipeline, grant outcomes and learnings
Qualifications and essential skills
Masters degree in marketing or business development;
– OR –
A Bachelors degree in a discipline related to EWB’s program work, combined with five or more years’ experience within the community development or a related sector in a major grant-writing and fundraising role;
- 5 or more years experience in:
- Successfully leading, scoping and setting up a diverse grants portfolio;
- Preparing well-researched, compellingly articulated funding submissions;
- Building multi-stakeholder partnerships and understanding diverse program needs;
- Developing and/ or exceeding robust income targets;
- Developing costing plans to input into program budgets/ proposal submissions;
- Coaching others to identify grant opportunities and partnering to bring these to fruition.
- Well-demonstrated constructive influencing, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to coordinate projects simultaneously and sensitively manage expectations
- Ability to balance time pressures and deadlines inherent to grants and proposal submissions
- Experience with database management systems such as Salesforce and Box
EWB capabilities you’ll embody
- Embody EWB’s values: You’ll be truly passionate about and advocate for EWB.
- Lead yourself: Leading your own decision-making truly motivates you. You know when and how to escalate important decisions, and successfully drive your own work and development.
- Enable others: You’ll capably inspire, lead, mentor and manage your people within EWB.
- Communicate purposefully: You communicate clearly, powerfully and with strategic intent.
- Build financial sustainability: You’ll ensure EWB’s programs have a sound business model underpinning them. You’ll build support across the organisation and with key stakeholders, for impactful, collectively-owned, financially sustainable initiatives.
- Strengthen relationships: You’ll ensure EWB’s relationships are purposefully developed, leveraged and catalysed towards collectively beneficial and longer-term outcomes.
- Influence systems: You’ll influence EWB’s networks to enact systemic change in the school, university, business, government, community, philanthropy, impact investment and media.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a two page "pitch" explaining how your values, skills and experiences make you the perfect fit and how these will support EWB's next phases of growth and development.
Include your CV (maximum 3 pages) with the contact details of 2 referees.
Send these two documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Grants and Fundraising Operations Lead application via ReliefWeb.
Due to the high volume of applications EWB receives, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications can only be accepted from Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled.