Head, Clinical Laboratory Services under the Laboratory Services
icddr,b, Dhaka, Bahrain
- Planning and Organising: Identify financial and non-financial resource requirements for clinical diagnostic laboratories (e.g. manpower & equipment estimations, space utilisation); maximize use of such resources; set-up operational plans, QA and maintenance procedures under the guidance of the Senior Management; establish performance parameters of the labs; and communicate operational plans, laboratory procedures, and performance parameters of staff in order to set the direction for clinical laboratories.
- Review and Control: Track progress against operational plans; review adherence to quality norms and procedures; analyse operational parameters in the clinical labs (such as % utilisation of equipments, utilisation of human resources, expenses etc.); direct necessary corrective actions (such as re-allocating work across staff to balance workload, servicing of equipments); review MIS reports and anticipate potential issues; and coordinate and resolve day-to-day operational issues aiming at efficient delivery of clinical laboratory services.
- Quality Assurance : Approve technical quality of reagents, and laboratory supplies and equipments; establish and maintain quality control procedures and conduct annual quality assurance audits of laboratories; monitor and review quality control assays from reference laboratories outside of Bangladesh; cross-validate accuracy of data with referenced results; analyse gaps (e.g. human error, reagents, instruments) in internal testing, and resolve such issues; develop SOPs for laboratory procedures (e.g. transportation, storage, test results and reporting); guide and monitor staff to set-up laboratory technique/ assays for pilot phase of SOP deployment; train staff on finalised laboratory techniques; monitor SOPs and their application in meeting quality and safety norms to ensure highest quality of service delivery.
- Bio-Safety: Understand processes and norms for bio-safety and waste management; organise staff training on such processes and establish and maintain them in the clinical laboratories; monitor incident reports and react swiftly to critical incident reported and resolve them, and determine their root causes and deploy corrective procedures; educate staff members on compliance, and report compliance issues on bio-safety and waste management issues to safeguard staff and environment from contamination.
- People Management: Conduct technical and/or behavioural interviews; shortlist candidates; cascade department objectives and set individual goals; conduct periodic appraisals and confront poor performance in a positive manner; identify, mentor and reward high performers; assess training need and organise training of lab staff; recommend increments and promotions; address staff concerns to develop a high performing team in the clinical laboratories.
Education and Relevant Experience :
- MBBS or Masters in Biological Sciences from a reputed university; a PhD in relevant field will be desirable;
- Minimum 10 years of experience in managing large clinical diagnostic laboratories including experience in developing new businesses for the clinic/hospital;
- Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: https://centre.icddrb.org/recruitment/jobList.jsp by June 20, 2015. Internal candidates must mention their identification number in the application.
Functional Competencies: Knowledge of
- Laboratory equipments and their usage;
- Laboratory testing methods;
- Laboratory equipments maintenance;
- Buffer and cell culture media preparation;
- Specimen collection and handling guidelines and techniques;
- Biohazards, Biosecurity and Biosafety requirements;
- Regulatory requirements;
- Laboratory IT Systems;
- Business development;
- Inventory management guidelines and tools;
- Budgeting and tracking mechanisms;
- Must have organizational and financial awareness;
- Ability to execute for results;
- Innovative thinking;
- Effective communication skills;
- Ability to build high performing team.