UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - GSSC
The UNOPS Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) is a Corporate Support Group (CSG) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The GSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
Background Information - Job-specific
Reporting to the Team Lead – Staff Administration, the HR Assistant supports the immediate work team in providing global HR support, ensuring high quality of work, accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The work area is within contract administration and benefits & entitlements for UN staff members.
The HR Assistant promotes a client-oriented and consistent approach with regards to UNOPS’ policies and UN Staff Rules and Regulations and in accordance with the corporately established protocols. He/She works in close collaboration with operations personnel in field offices and with UNOPS’ HQ personnel to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Supports administration of UN staff contracts, benefits and entitlements
- Supports implementation of HR strategies and procedures
- Supports implementation of HR services
- Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Supports efficient administration of contracts, benefits and entitlements for UN staff, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring and tracking of transactions to ensure timely, consistent and equitable provision of services with a client focus;
- Drafting of appointment and separation letters, outlining terms and conditions of the contractual event. Briefing to personnel on the conditions of service related to contracts;
- Collection, verification and follow-up on required documentation related to benefits, entitlements and contracts;
- Proactive coordination of the flow of work;
- Provision of proactive customer service to internal and external clients.
Supports implementation of HR strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UN and UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Reference to internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management;
- Support to the Human Resource Associate and Supervisor on management, implementation, monitoring of various HR initiatives.
Supports implementation of HR services:
- Review of Terms of Reference or Job Descriptions, consulting with Requesting Officer regarding any discrepancies between its content and the recommended level of remuneration;
- Review of public materials describing unit services and activities;
- Support to maintenance of team website;
- Assistance to supervisor(s) in monitoring the contractual status of all staff on various appointments based in immediate location or within the office’s mandate.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings within the unit
- Contributions to knowledge sharing within the unit
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks and duties related to HR, screening, collecting and preparation of documentation, data input, transactions tracking, filing, provision of information
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Knowledge of UNOPS HR rules and procedures
- Strong IT skills
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Education: High school diploma required. Secondary Education with specialized certification in HR an asset. A BA or MA degree may substitute required years of work experience.
- 5 years progressive experience in supporting a human resource management area.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (e.g., MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English.