Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 56 offices in 35 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with dedicated and enthusiastic staff who loves their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Summary of Position
The Human Resources Generalist provides HR services in both the international and domestic fields. The position involves benefits, compensation, and payroll, employee recognition, HR reporting responsibilities and serves as the HR focal point for DC staff.
Working relationships: all employees, including country directors, program directors, managers, and supervisors.
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the HR Manager.
Search for Common Ground has a great work environment with a mission of peace-building in the world, hard-working and friendly co-workers, team-building opportunities, and involvement in staff events (i.e. monthly staff meetings and brown bag sessions, such as informational seminars by employees). The company has won numerous awards.
Salary Compensation Management and Payroll
- Serves as payroll administrator
- Manages the domestic and global compensation structure
- Maintain employee payroll records by accurately updating status changes, tax withholdings, benefit deductions, time off accruals, demographic information in the HRIS system.
- Ensures payroll information is accurately entered into ADP system for new hires.
- Process payroll changes for accuracy and efficiency
- Liaise with Sr. Payroll Support Specialist on all payroll related matters
- Process international payroll changes for international staff on a monthly basis.
- Update and maintain payroll spreadsheet for auditing purposes.
- Manages all employee benefits packages, including health/life insurance, disability insurance, and retirement plans, including setup, maintenance, as well as internal and external communication.
- Serves as main contact for all workers’ compensation policies and procedures and FMLA paper work
- Assists with explaining all benefits programs, enrolls and terminates employee coverage under medical and dental plans and provides information to all domestic and global employees for enrollment and termination of coverage.
- Processes health insurance wires and bills; troubleshoots employee issues with insurance vendors.
- Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process.
HRIS Database Management
- Prepare data analysis and HR reports on a quarterly basis for Quarterly Management Reports (QMRs) including HR turnover and other HR-related reports
- Responsible for maintaining an efficient and legally-compliant configuration of the electronic filing system for employee files.
- Run routine and intermediate-advanced custom reports using Bamboo HR.
- Generate HR turnover and other HR related reports
- Update and maintain the DEPs in HRIS system
- Point person on all domestic employee relations
- Maintain and update HR’s intranet web page
- Manages both domestic and international Internship Program
- Conduct, analyze and provide recommendations for all exit interviews
- Ensure HR onboarding of all DC hired staff.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in human resources, business, or a related area
- Minimum of five years of human resources generalist experience, preferably with at least two years in a non-profit and/or international organization, or other equivalent experience
- Experience working in headquarters office of a US-based organization with offices in the US and overseas
- Strong knowledge of benefits, compensation laws and regulations and HR best practices
- Experience developing procedures
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to be structured in a flexible environment
- Ability to efficiently complete HR tasks requested within deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication and negotiation ability
- Strong work ethic with excellent attention to detail
- Honest, ethical, can-do attitude
- Highly developed research skills and problem-solving ability
- Proficiency with business software applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google, etc.)
- Occasional travel may be required
- Some overseas work experience or experience working in a multi-cultural setting is a plus
- French language proficiency
- PHR or other relevant, certifications
- Experience researching international labor laws
- Experience preparing benefits materials
Salary: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, with excellent benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and current resume to our employment website here. Please be sure to include minimum salary requirements (or current salary), projected start date, and to mention where you found this posting. We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our web site www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.