Human Resources (P&C) Director
World Vision, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
Provide strategic leadership and advice to World Vision Southern Africa (SAR) Regional and National Offices in the area of people & organizational development by maximizing the potential of WV’s human resources and increasing organizational performance to fulfill WV’s mission & vision while remaining true to its core values. Support the Regional Leader (RL) and Sr Director Operations (SDO) in developing leadership capacity in each office, furthering executive development of National Directors (NDs) and senior staff. Matrix manages National Office (NO) People & Culture Directors and leads a team of Regional Office People & Culture staff.
- Support the Regional Leader (RL) and Senior Director Operations (SDO) in creating a culture of transformational leadership, strategically aligned regional culture and engaged regional workforce.
- Advise and support the National Directors on all aspects relating to People & Culture leadership and organizational development to create an enabling environment and increase people’s productivity.
- Manage National Office People & Culture teams in their leadership and engagement on matters related to Human Resource Management and Organizational Development.
- Lead and manage the Regional Office P&C teams.
- Advise and support the National Directors on all aspects relating to Human Resource Management and Organizational Development to create an enabling environment and increase people’s productivity.
- Collaborate with Regional Office Strategy Management in setting up and management of region wide performance accountability systems and HR balance scorecard in consultation with all relevant stakeholders.
- Practice servant leadership and provide spiritual leadership, acting as a role model to colleagues, including matrix reports.
- Provides oversight of recruitment of National Directors, key Regional Office team members and National Office P&C leadership positions.
- Lead in the execution of the Regional Office and National Office P&C strategies, ensuring that these are in line with Partnership P&C strategy.
- Contribute to development of global, regional, and national P & C strategies, priorities and plans ensuring that regional priorities are integrated and prioritized.
- Lead the development and implementation of P&C secondary strategy and business plan in support of and in alignment with regional, global, and national strategies and priorities.
- Provide leadership to development and implementation of organization wide communication and change management plan during National or Regional Office transition.
Technical, Operational & Administrative Support:
- Work closely with Regional and National Offices providing technical guidance and input in the areas of People & Culture (Human Resources) and Organizational Development.
- Contribute to the development of global policies, guidelines and standards relating to P&C and provide leadership in contextualizing and mainstreaming these within the region.
- Adapt creative and innovative P&C strategies and practices in recruitment, reward, talent and performance management, staff care and human resource development.
- Lead the P&C Regional team in developing long term and short-term annual plan.
- Lead and manage Regional P&C team ensuring effective and efficient services to all the customers.
- Facilitate implementation of P&C initiatives implemented in the Southern Africa Region such as Leadership Development, Talent Management, and Succession Planning etc.
- Ensure that P&C systems, policies and procedures meet the minimum P&C standards for effective management of human resources.
- Oversee and ensure the effectiveness of the Office Administration function.
- Ensure office’s compliance with local labor law including work permits, visa, and office registration.
- Lead the assessment, development and implementation of an integrated regional capacity building plan based on regional P&C priorities and strategy.
- Provide leadership to regional capacity building projects and initiatives in alignment with the regional and global capacity building framework and strategies.
- Advise National Offices on P&C and OD core competencies and capacity requirement at national level.
- Share / facilitate access to P&C training resources and support opportunities for national offices. These may include conducting training, engagement of trainers, establishing institutional links, identifying opportunities for staff exchange or mentoring.
- Lead the process of continuous learning in P&C practices, systems and tools that will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness the organization.
- Encourage mutual learning between National Offices within the Southern Africa region and between other regions.
- Contribute to establishment and use of regional data bases and e-resources including regional good practices relating to human resources and organisational development as part of wider knowledge management strategy.
- Facilitate formation and coordination of regional P&C forum or network that contributes to strategy action and promotes learning.
- Facilitate the documentation of best practices and contribute to the community of practice and center of excellence.
Quality Assurance/Risk Management:
- Leads RO/NO P&C review and assist RO/NO in creating risk mitigation implementation plan related to P&C based on GC Internal Audit recommendations related to P&C.
- Lead, monitor and evaluate the progress of RO and NO human resources management practices ensuring compliance with WVI partnership standards, policies and procedures. Advises and supports in addressing gaps/issues in P&C practices as necessary and appropriate.
- Contribute and support the organizational culture climate audits and engage NO leaders in mitigating risks in labor management.
- Support the development, implementation and compliance of RO and NO to P&C Scorecard in alignment with regional and GC P&C goals and priorities.
- Support the SDO in addressing performance, compliance and risk relating to P&C issues in Regional and National Offices.
- Internal & External Liaison and Coordination:
- Act as a strategic link and focal point for regional P&C connecting Regional Office, National Offices, Support Offices and Global Center for mutual support.
- Participate and actively contribute to partnership forums, working groups and networks related to P&C as deemed necessary by regional leadership.
- Work with other members of the SARO team to ensure sound P&C practices within the wider ministry of World Vision in the region.
- Develop external strategic HR networks and linkages with other International Organizations, NGOs, HR consulting groups to expand P&C network in Southern Africa.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the RL and SDO.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Graduate qualification and/or Professional qualification in Human Resource Management, Social Science/Studies, or Organizational Development. A relevant Masters Degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Studies or an MBA.
- Proven record of accomplishment of effective contribution as a member of the top team of a multi-national leadership group, reporting to a CEO-type role.
- A thorough understanding of all areas of Human Resources management and staff development, and knowledge of HR and OD practices, group processes and dynamics and apply such in the Southern Africa context.
- Requires minimum 10 years’ experience in Human Resources Development with significant organizational development experience, or related fields, in a complex, international organization (preferably in an INGO context).
- A proven record of developing people in a cross-cultural setting and initiating and implementing organizational change specifically with working experience in Africa and restricted contexts.
- Committed and passionate Christian who will be able to provide spiritual leadership.
- Strong analytical, organizational, facilitation and leadership skills,
- Demonstrated collaboration & team building skills.
- Experience in managing diversity and maximizing diversity to achieve organizational goals.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Knowledge of WVI Partnership HR minimum standards and practices.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Must have good knowledge of computer programmes (i.e. MS Office, Lotus Notes, HRMIS systems, etc).
- Travel up to 30% per month when required (inter-regional and international).
- This role involves the coordination with geographically dispersed HR teams located in national offices as well as giving leadership to a P&C and Administration team.