International Consultant to Develop GEF-LDCF Project on
United Nations Development Programme(UNDP), Thimphu, Bhutan
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
CCA and Project Development expert will support the team leader in the development of project document, CEO endorsement document, social and environmental screening and assessment/feasibility studies. Besides supporting the team leader and national consultant, the consultant will need to provide substantive technical inputs to Components 1 & 3 of the project. Som teh key responsbilities of teh expert include:
Technical definition and capacity needs assessment:
- Provide guidance and review technical assessments and studies carried out by the RGoB and national consultants as part of the project preparation, including providing information and resources about international and national best practices;
- Develop strategic Results Framework based on the field assessments and inputs from national stakeholders and consultants, including Project Objective, Outcomes, Outputs and indicative activities and ensure compliance with Full Size Project monitoring with UNDP/GEF quality requirements including the GEF AMAT Framework (particularly that the indicators used are specific, measurable, appropriate, relevant and time bound);
- Oversee definition of the project baseline (ie. Current policies, strategies, current capacities and activities, baseline M&E indicators) and contribute to the synthesis of relevant baseline information (gender-disaggregated if possible), including identification of gaps in baseline data and information and suggestions for further required studies;
- Establish criteria for the selection of pilots sites and adaptation options, based on field assessments and inputs from national stakeholders and consultant(s), and verify analysis of current and projected climate change risk in the target areas;
- Frame a consistentclimate change additionality argument for the project in line with findings from field assessment;
- Incorporate design elements for selected adaptation measures based on value-chain analysis and viable insurance analysis undertaken by relevant consultants;
- Based on inputs from national consultant(s) and through stakeholder engagement, verify suitability, technical and financial feasibility of the selected adaptation options and ensure that they increase adaptive capacity and reduce long-term climate change induced vulnerability.
Institutional Arrangements, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Finalize management arrangements for the project in consultation with the RGoB and UNDP, including the decision making and hierarchical structure, roles and responsibilities and appropriate financial and technical workflow arrangements;
- Define M&E strategy including impact assessment for the project with inputs from the M&E and Impact Assessment consultant for the project;
- Stakeholder consultations and involvement plan.
Drafting of Full Size UNDP/GEF Compliant Project Document and CEO endorsement:
- Consolidate inputs by the international and national consultant(s) and RGoB into a full size UNDP/GEF compliant climate change adaptation project document;
- Review the findings of the technical assessments undertaken during the preparatory phase and synthesize them in the relevant sections of the final project document.
- Master’s degree or higher in Rural Development (agronomy, agro-economy and natural resource management), Development studies, Economics, Agricultural economics, Labour economics, Socio-economic studies, or other related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience within one or more of the following areas: agricultural policy development, gender analysis, risks and vulnerability assessment, community development and participation, urban and rural small business development, cooperatives and/or microfinance, agriculture/livestock, rapid and participatory rural appraisal, rural labour and employment issues;
- Substantive technical experience with project formulation preferably with GEF full-size project formulation requirements;
- Additional areas of experience could include water and sanitation, agro-ecology, land and water management and livestock management; economics, business administration or management.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills in English language