- Take up a senior leadership role in an innovative, inclusive, dynamic not-for-profit
- Generate social impact in a new role and team of significant strategic importance
- Build meaningful partnerships to catalyse the humanitarian engineering movement
- Role is ONLY open to Australian/ New Zealand citizens and/ or permanent residents
Engineers Without Borders Australia (EWB) is a 'small giant’ – an innovative organisation at the nexus of engineering education, business and community development. We work to:
- enable appropriate solutions to alleviate poverty and accelerate inclusive sustainable development
- redefine engineering as a community centred profession providing leadership for a more sustainable world
- inspire and mobilise a global community in engineering for social change.
We strongly believe every engineer can be a change agent for a socially just and sustainable world. This drives EWB to lead a movement of like-minded individuals and companies, who work together to increase the social impact created by Australian and international engineers.
EWB's way of working is fun, flat and flexible! Our staff make important strategic decisions themselves, wear multiple hats across our core work areas, and play to their strengths whilst working within agile teams. If you are a self-driven high performer who values thought leadership, innovation and personal/ professional development, we'd welcome your application.
About your role
EWB's Major Relationships Lead will propel EWB to the next stage of its growth. Using your well-developed donor stewardship and partnership brokering experience, you'll successfully catalyse our major relationships and build a clearly articulated value proposition for EWB. In close partnership with EWB staff, you'll lead the shaping of EWB’s donor strategies and communications narrative, pinpointing our key audiences and ensuring our narratives to these groups are strongly aligned to EWB’s vision, values, program strategies and sustainability principles.
Your well-honed coaching skills will see you successfully overseeing a team who lead EWB’s content production, grant writing, fundraising and corporate partnerships. You’ll proactively engage EWB’s Board, leveraging their significant networks and expertise to deepen our corporate, philanthropic and major donor impact. You’ll apply your collaborative approach to genuinely understand EWB’s program strategies, integrating thoughtful business development opportunities and models into our programs. Your senior-level external representation of EWB, will enable us to compellingly articulate how EWB generates genuine long-term collective impact with our partners.
You bring strong philanthropic, corporate and/ or major donor brokering experience and truly understand how an insightful communication strategy can extend our reach and influence. You'll use your practical know-how of the community sector, however are able to skillfully navigate across multiple sectors. Your dedicated approach sees you successfully curating new partnership opportunities from start to finish, and managing your people and partners with drive, sensitivity and pragmatism. Your engineering or related technical knowledge is a bonus, but not mandatory.
Key Responsibility Areas
Major relationships strategy development and donor stewardship (75%)
- Scope, design and deliver EWB’s major donor and philanthropic strategy, in close collaboration with, and a deep understanding of EWB Board, staff and key stakeholders' needs
- In partnership with staff, develop a tailored communications narrative that compellingly articulates EWB’s value proposition to new and existing major donors, corporate partners, philanthropic organisations and high net worth individuals
- Build EWB’s untied fundraising income (target of $700 000 per year) via high-value major donors, philanthropic organisations, corporates, trusts, foundations, high net worth individuals and Private Ancillary Funds
- Prioritise and deepen new and existing strategic partnerships across EWB’s corporate, philanthropic and major donors networks that a) build our social and financial capital; b) work to our strengths; and c) advance EWB’s interests in creating shared value
- Act as EWB’s senior representative for major donor, corporate and philanthropic initiatives, building EWB’s visibility by skilfully profiling the impact of EWB’s work
- With EWB’s Grant and Fundraising Operations Lead and programs, strategically curate grant opportunities within EWB’s major donor, corporate and philanthropic relationships
- Introduce robust thought leadership and critical analysis to EWB about newer funding, donor partnership and brokering opportunities, so EWB positions itself as an insightful innovator.
Philanthropic, corporate and major donor leadership across EWB’s people (25%)
- Guide the strategic direction of EWB’s income generation team, a cross-functional group that steers funding opportunities, aligns these to programs and manages EWB’s relationships
- Alongside Board and CEO, capacity-build 3 direct reports to strengthen their partnership brokering, grant-writing and strategic communications skills, building a team learning culture
- Partner with program leads to deeply understand their work and thoughtfully integrate EWB’s corporate, major donor and philanthropic priorities into programmatic sustainability plans
- Collaboratively coach EWB staff to articulate EWB’s unique value proposition and build EWB’s brand profile within new or existing partnerships relevant to each program’s work
- Partner with EWB’s Finance team and program leads to ensure robust business analysis (e.g. costing models and collective impact models) are built into their strategic plans
- Use Salesforce to record and report data on the growth and development of our major donor, philanthropic organisational and corporate relationships.
Qualifications and Essential Skills
- Masters degree in business administration, marketing or business development
– OR –
- A Bachelors degree in a discipline related to EWB’s program work, combined with five-plus years’ major donor, corporate or philanthropic partnership management experience in a senior role.
- 5 or more years experience in:
- Successfully leading a high-impact major donors, philanthropic, corporate and/ or high net worth partnership strategy – with proven cut-through to implementing tangible outcomes
- Creating and articulating a compelling, targetted brand and communications strategy
- Successfully brokering and strengthening major donor, philanthropic and/ or high net worth partnerships in a client-facing capacity, prioritising long-term and sustainable outcomes
- Successfully building, coaching and/ or mentoring a high-performing team
- Sensitively, pragmatically and positively influencing a diverse range of senior stakeholders
- A collaborative approach to learning about our strategies, programs and sustainability models
- Coordinating multiple projects simultaneously and working well under pressure
- Willing to travel and work outside business hours for events/ opportunity development
EWB capabilities you'll embody
- Embody EWB’s values: You’ll be truly passionate about and advocate for EWB.
- Lead yourself: Leading your own decision-making truly motivates you. You know when and how to escalate decisions, drive your own work and professional development goals.
- Envision strategy: The strategies you develop will clearly articulate EWB’s direction and inspire action to achieve our organisational aims.
- Enable others: You’ll capably inspire, lead, mentor and manage your people within EWB.
- Communicate purposefully: You communicate clearly, powerfully and with strategic intent.
- Build financial sustainability: You’ll ensure EWB’s programs have a sound business model underpinning them. You’ll build support for impactful, collectively-owned, sustainable work.
- Strengthen relationships: You’ll ensure EWB’s relationships are purposefully developed, leveraged and catalysed towards collectively beneficial and longer-term outcomes.
- Influence systems: You’ll influence EWB’s networks to enact systemic change in the school, university, business, government, community, philanthropy, impact investment and media.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a two page "pitch" explaining how your values, skills and experiences make you the perfect fit and how these will support EWB's next phases of growth and development.
Include your CV (maximum 3 pages) with the contact details of 2 referees.
Send these two documents to: email@example.com using the subject line: Major Relationships Lead application via ReliefWeb.
Due to the high volume of applications EWB receives, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications can only be accepted from Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled