Join and be part of a global relief, development and advocacy NGO, dedicated to work with children, families & communities to overcome poverty and injustice. World Vision International was established in 1950 & operates in nearly 100 countries worldwide.
World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we do not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The MEAL Coordinator, South Syria is responsible for leading the establishment and management of a high quality Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system for World Vision’s multi-sectoral operations in South Syria (Dar’a and Quneitra).
The MEAL coordinator will lead and manage a team of Amman and South Syria-based MEAL staff, including recruitment, mentoring, training and managing the team. The MEAL coordinator will represent the MEAL Department on the South Syria Senior Management Team.
The role will provide guidance and field support to the World Vision South Syria operations in terms of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL). The position will be required to establish & mainstream M&E and Accountability systems for direct and partner implementation in South Syria in alignment with World Vision & international humanitarian principles. The role also coordinates all M&E tasks & communication with internal & external platforms under the leadership and guidance of the Syria Country Office MEAL leader.
Program concept & Design: Support the World Vision South Syria program in developing new projects by providing required secondary data on the context and thematic areas, learning from previous projects, and primary data from needs assessments.
Monitoring, Implementation & Reporting
- Ensure all approved projects have the following by the start of the project: World Vision standard logframe, M&E plan with defined indicators, M&E calendar, Indicator tracking table (ITT), Detailed implementation plan (DIP), field level data collection tools, mobile data collection tools, and databases for collection, consolidation and reporting.
- Ensure partners are trained on the M&E and reporting requirements, and core humanitarian standards.
- Ensure WV’s frontline and technical staff are knowledgeable on technical aspects related to M&E, tools and quality standards and are able to comply.
- When baselines are run by external parties (external to WV), develop ToR according to WV quality standards and donor requirements, oversee the entire process and ensure quality of all deliverables.
- Ensure all WV projects (direct & partner implemented) have baselines for outcome level indicators.
- Ensure project level ITT are updated with accurate data on a monthly basis and key findings are shared with management at the program review meetings.
- Ensure partner & direct implementation is monitored on a regular basis for quality standards, and humanitarian principles through schedule visits, data quality audits, spot check / verification visits against reports, and reports reviews (as per agreed schedule with donors and partnership).
- Ensure the effective functioning of the M&E system and that the outputs of this system reach WV management and other stakeholder on an accurate and timely manner.
Project closeout, Evaluations, & learning
- Ensure Learning events are conducted for direct & partner implemented projects before the closure of the project in order to document learnings and best practice for future programs.
- Ensure an end-line measurement of the outcome level indicators is conducted to understand the change WV programs contributed to.
- If required by the donor, ensure to lead / coordinate the end of project evaluation process in alignment with World Vision & Humanitarian standards.
- When end line evaluations are run by external parties (external to WV), develop ToR according to WV quality standards and donor requirements, oversee the entire process and ensure quality of all deliverables.
- Ensure key findings from the measurement processes (end-lines & evaluations) are shared with World Vision management and external entities as advised by the MEAL manager.
- Ensure all M&E data, reports, and records are clearly organized archived in a central location for future reference.
Quality assurance, coordination, capacity building
- Ensure WV is well represented in M&E related working groups and forums both at local and national level.
- Ensure World Vision, and Core Humanitarian principles are upheld in all aspects of the M&E function.
- Ensure partner capacity is built to comply and produce high quality M&E products in-line with WV & donor standards & requirements.
- Ensure management of day-to-day M&E tasks are completed with appropriate resources, proper planning and to the highest standard required.
- Support other tasks as required by the MEAL Manager, PDQA director (Syria Response) and the response manager.
- Recruit, train and on-board a field monitoring team for South Syria, based on the particular needs of the South Syria grant portfolio.
- Ensure all M&E staff supervised by this position are guided, mentored and their capacities built in order to deliver high quality outputs.
- Sit on the South Syria Senior Management Team. Report to the SMT on MEAL progress, challenges and milestones.
- Support MEAL Manager in developing/adapting contextually appropriate accountability tools and systems to enable response EA HEAstaff to better include communities in program planning, implementation and monitoring
- Ensure information sharing, Consultation, Participation & Complaints and response of affected people is being conducted by MEAL Officers
- Build the capacity of, support MEAL Officers, and review accountability reports generated and share critical information with management for action planning
- Participate in inter-agency coordination mechanisms on accountability, share learning and tools with other agencies and use experience of other agencies to improve WV Jordan’s accountability plans and practices
Education: Master’s degree preferably in the field of social sciences, public health, nutrition, statistics or development studies
Experience: Minimum of 2 years national & 3 years international (total of 5 years) experience in the field of M&EAL, especially in monitoring, evaluation in emergency context and donors is critical .
Knowledge & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, and analysis is essential, Especially the use of SPSS / “R” software’s for quantitative analysis.
- Thorough knowledge in writing technical M&E reports is essential.
- Thorough knowledge on Sphere, Core humanitarian standards, child rights, HAP & DAC evaluation criteria are essential.
- Thorough knowledge on the humanitarian operations coordination, cluster operations, and major donor M&E requirements is essentials.
- Proven experience in establishing a fully functional M&E system for an organization that’s supported by bilateral & multilateral international donors serving more than 50,000 beneficiaries within a period of 24 months.
- Proven experience in leading Surveys (mix methodologies) from designing to report writing.
- Proven experience in local staff capacity building
- Proven experience in establishing M&E systems for sub grantees and local partners.
- Thorough knowledge of World Vision process such as Child-Wellbeing, Syria response M&E framework would be an advantage.
- Previous working experience in Syria and local Syrian NGO can be an advantage.
- Previous engagement with the Syria Crisis response in Turkey, inside Syria, Lebanon, Jordan & Iraq can be an advantage.
- Ability work and produce high quality outputs in an intense & dynamic working environment, with local and international staff having different working styles and different levels of competencies is essential.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and comply with donors & partnership deadlines is essential.
- Achieving quality results and service
- Practicing accountability and integrity
- Communicating information effectively
- Thinking clearly, deeply and broadly
- Understanding the Humanitarian industry
- Understanding WV’s mission & operations
- Practicing continuous innovation & creativity
- Learning for growth and development
- Maintaining work/life balance
- Building collaborative relationships
- Practicing gender & cultural diversity
- Influencing individuals & groups