Save the Children is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (MEL) Specialist for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded Social and Behavior Change (SBC) program in Cambodia. The program aims to improve health behaviors among Cambodians and ensure that Cambodians seek and receive quality health care with decreased financial hardship through more sustainable systems. Two specific objectives are: 1) strengthen public sector systems for oversight and coordination of social behavior change at the national and provincial levels; and 2) improve the ability of individuals to adopt healthy behaviors.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Impact:
- Design and oversee the monitoring and evaluation framework for the program, identifying cost effective means to monitor the impact of SBC demonstration activities.
- Develop systems for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impact, which are feasible, practical, and “user friendly”, and will obtain valid and reliable information.
- Align targets and indicators to programming in project proposal, and use the information from the M&E systems and tools to improve the program effectiveness.
- Support all project and partner staff in developing, training, and applying new and proven approaches to monitoring, learning, and quality assurance/continuous quality improvement.
- Ensure that tools accommodate different levels of expertise and computer literacy, from community groups, to partners, to project staff.
- Effectively rollout M&E collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed
- Integrate the project’s M&E system with overall M&E systems for the SC Cambodia Country Office.
- Design and carry out base- and end-line evaluations, and work with local SBC organizations subcontracted to conduct specific impact evaluations.
- Ensure that all technical, research inputs are strategic, consistent and coordinated.
- Provide on-going support to maintain M&E systems; identify skill gaps to address in subsequent refresher trainings.
- Deliver high quality reports on a timely basis as required.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors:
- Master’s degree in public health, marketing, or a related field, with six years’ professional experience designing and managing M&E frameworks and overseeing a team to conduct monitoring and evaluation activities. A Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for the Master’s degree with eight years’ experience designing and managing M&E frameworks.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research skills
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote evidence-based learning. Demonstrated ability to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and evaluation.
- Experience in cost benefit analysis, economic appraisal or other value for money methodologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress
- Familiarity with USAID policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, and confidence presenting complicated, technical ideas to a mixed audience
Qualified Cambodians are highly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Our dedicated and diverse staff work hard to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.