World Vision South Africa (WVSA) operates in a middle income country globally, but it’s Gross Domestic Products (GDP) ranks among the top three in Africa. However, the gap between the rich and the poor is widening with ever increasing urban migration to the detriment of both the urban built environment as well as contributing to deepening rural marginalization.
South Africa is contrasted by two economies which equate with World Vision (WV) Model of Ministry context 4 and 2 with a population of over 52 million, children living in poverty with 4 million going to sleep every day without food (Human Science Research Council Report on Poverty, 2007) 34 % of population lives on less than $2/ day while 25% live on less than $1.25/day.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Strategically lead, develop and direct the implementation of all aspects of World Vision South Africa Ministry as an effective member of the Partnership in line with Twin Citizenship principles to ensure high Ministry quality and high impact in the field; be accountable for all of aspects of WV’s work in the country.
- Successfully lead the change process of World Vision South Africa’s transition from a funded entity, to a wholly self-sustainable office, responsible for its own fund raising.
- Ensure that WV South Africa’s ministry is directly contributing to the sustained well-being of children including their rights, protection and participation, within their families and communities.
- Ensure organisational sustainability by providing leadership, strategic direction and support in the development and implementation of an effective National Resource Development Strategy that will lead to Increased and diversified funding portfolio.
- Establishment and maintenance of collaborative partnerships between WV South Africa and donors, partners, all tiers of government, churches and other non-governmental organizations.
- Observe World Vision core documents (Vision, Mission, Statement of Faith, Core Values and Covenant of Partnership) and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
- Ensure that the office has a high quality Christian Commitment strategy and an operations plan that is appropriate for the country context. That country strategy is aligned with WV global strategy and WV South Africa Board expectations.
- Ensure accountability for the implementation of effective ministry to all key stakeholders. Ensure a relevant, timely and accurate flow of management and operational reports according to programme objectives and standards and to meet reporting standards of the support and donor partners, the Regional and Partnership office (as specified in the Covenant of Partnership) and local partners.
- Ensure organisational sustainability by leading and Managing WV South Africa team in a way that facilitates a high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity.
- Promote a culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Represent WV South Africa by engaging and building strategic alliances with the government of the
- country ,WVSA board, major donor agencies, WV Partnership non – governmental
- Agencies, churches and media.
- Ensure efficient and effective organisational practices that result in successful financial and operational audit scores.
- Manage overall financial integrity of the programme to WV Support Offices, donors, the government and other stakeholders.
- Ensure action planning and execution to resolve audit findings in an agreed and timely manner; Undertake appropriate reporting of audit results and action.
- Maintain, and regularly review security and safety plans and protocols (security manual, evacuation plan, Disaster Preparedness Plan, and risk assessments at national and Area Program levels and ensure understanding and compliance by all staff and visitors.
- Monitor the implementation of peer review recommendations.
- Ensure that the entity functions in a complementary, cohesive manner where the principles of interdependence and twin citizenship guide the contribution made to the Partnership and the use of WV Partnership resources.
Operational Leadership and Stewardship Excellence:
- Lead the development and execution of the country strategy through programme approaches and operating plans with clear, measurable short-term and long-term targets.
- Ensure country strategy is aligned with Regional and WV global strategic priorities and country Board expectations.
- Ensure that key Ministry and support functions are strategically aligned and appropriately included in the National Office (NO) strategy.
- Ensure organisational sustainability by ongoing predictive success planning (funding, Ministry, organisational development, leadership pipeline, leadership development).
- Lead and manage World Vision South Africa team in a way that facilitates a high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity; Promote a culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Ensure implementation and compliance to Partnership Performance Management Standards and Principles, while seeking to implement Performance Management guidelines on reasonable level.
- Ensure excellent standards in the management of the human, financial, capital and technical resources of the organization, which includes inspiring and setting high standards of work and clear performance indicators and accountability to stakeholders.
- Ensure effective stewardship and accountability of WV and other donor resources, finances and people, consistent with performance standards established by the WV South Africa Board of Directors.
- Promote and model high level of transparency, integrity and zero tolerance to fraud.
- Have overall responsibility for assessment of risks and the development of risk management planning to mitigate risks to NO operations, staff, assets and programmes.
- Ensure organizational compliance to the "country" Government standards and laws for WV operations in the country.
Organisational Leadership and Culture: recruit, motivate, equip, lead and retain capable staff:
- Promote WV’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among the staff and partners and ensure these are the core foundation of World Vision South Africa strategies and work.
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships, and provide spiritual guidance to staff on the WV Vision, Mission and Core Values.
- Demonstrate Christ-centered servant leadership amongst WV staff and diverse partners.
- Demonstrate strong conviction and ability to work in ecumenical and inter-faith contexts.
- Inspire staff to support Christian identity, commitments and witness (including incarnational living).
- Build and promote culture that is sustainable for growth and high performance.
- Build sustainability through the growth and development of National Office staff and leadership capability including the Senior Leadership Team.
- Build sustainability through effective organisational succession planning for all leadership roles including the National Director and Senior Leadership Team.
- Lead in a way that facilitates a high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity; promotes a culture of learning and development, employee engagement, servant leadership and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Build organisational culture, which leverages respect, value and promotes gender, age and ethnic diversity.
- Contribute to the global pool of workforce of WV Partnership by sourcing, recruiting or building committed, competent talents from within the country.
- Working along with the Board as the Board provides spiritual, strategic, fiduciary and generative leadership to the organisation. Ensuring that the National Office functions in a complementary, sensitive and cohesive manner where the core values, principles of interdependence and twin citizenship guide the contribution made to the Partnership and the use of World Vision Partnership resources.
- Visit projects frequently to encourage, build relationships, and support WV programs.
Delivering on Child Well-Being Aspirations/Outcomes, Targets and Programme Quality:
- Collaborate and build coalitions to catalyse movements for children’s well-being, locally and globally.
- Align and influence national strategic mandates and priorities with global priorities for child wellbeing.
- Champion increased and enriched connections between children, communities and supporters, for an increasingly vibrant, authentic and engaging experience among them.
- Be a credible advocate for children and champion efforts for child rights, mobilizing change at every level by lifting the voices of local children, youth and their communities.
- Ensure that the NO functions in a contextualized, complementary, sensitive and cohesive manner.
Increasing and Diversifying the Funding Portfolio and National Resource Development:
- Build and maintain sustainability through diversified revenue growth in alignment with agreed targets.
- Develop and implement an effective National Resource Development strategy and implementation plan to generate and grow funds locally.
- Define vision for grants acquisition and management performance within NO, ensure that grants are strategically aligned to NO priorities and consider the competitive landscape.
- Ensure alignment of marketing and programming for coordinated design and promotion of products and programmes.
- Implement long term and short term programs that create new opportunities for acquisition, retention and transformation of diverse set of donors; Influence donors using creative approaches to motivate them to get involved in support of World Vision South Africa Ministry.
Twin Citizenship and Partnering – external, board and partnership:
- Act as a Twin Citizen and global leader ensuring that National Office participates in global processes and decisions and allocates resources and talent where most needed, Partnership wide.
- Source best practices and strategic services available Partnership wide, be aware of, and apply relevant innovative approaches.
- Promote social entrepreneurship by pursuing innovative solutions to social problems, acting boldly and proactively sourcing required resources and not constrained by resources currently in hand.
- Build proactive external relationship with local government leaders, donors, church leaders, private corporations for the following purposes:
- Social entrepreneurship
- Advocacy agenda - promote policy change for improved child well-being
- Donor relations for acquisition of resources and policy influence.
- Enable and support programmes in the country by government agencies at all levels
- Media relations; Ensure that WV and Child Well-Being agenda are promoted appropriately.
- Represent /the office/ engage and build strategic alliances with the Government of /the country/, board, major donor agencies, WV Partnership, non-governmental agencies, churches and media.
- Strategically position WV South Africa as a credible and trustworthy national and global partner.
- Support the Chair of the WV South Africa Board in coordinating Board meetings, and in maintaining a pool of Christian contacts from which to draw future Board members.
- Support Board Chair and Board member in succession plans.
Advocacy and Representation:
- Represent World Vision South Africa engage and build strategic alliances with the government ministries, WV board, major donor agencies, WV Partnership, non-governmental agencies, churches and media.
- Develop and implement appropriate advocacy strategies to raise awareness of- and advocate for change in- key issues within the specific context.
- Lead and facilitate strategies for advocating justice issues to address changes in unfair structures that oppress those in need; Ensure WV is positioned as a leading NGO in promoting the well-being and rights of children within the country context to enhance public and stakeholders’ confidence and trust.
- Strengthen awareness of World Vision’s program both within and outside of the WV Partnership.
- Ensure that the WV brand is respected within the country and is consistently modeled in staff conduct and throughout office operations.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and support to the team for developing and implementing excellent donor experience and acquisition of Ministry funds; Identify new opportunities and forge alliances that lead to optimization of all resources.
Humanitarian Emergency Affairs (HEA):
- Develop and maintain capacity to respond to natural and man-made emergencies.
- Collaborate with HEA Regional Director in determining the appropriate level of emergency response in country.
- Oversee relief efforts, as and when they arise and work in partnership with HEA response teams. Build in-country relief response capacity to ensure adequate disaster mitigation, management and response.
Financial Management and Financial and Operational Audit Compliance:
- Ensure the office compliance to local legal requirements and standards; Represent World Vision South Africa in courts, if required.
- Ensure and oversee proper mechanisms for Child Protection and other WVI Standards and Principles implementation.
- Ensure efficient and effective organizational practices, that result in successful financial and operational audit rating.
- Ensure execution of action plan to resolve audit findings in an agreed and timely manner; Undertake appropriate reporting of audit results and actions.
- Ensure strong financial compliance through timeliness and completeness of financial reports.
- Ensure strong operational compliance through timeliness and completeness of program/project reports to donors and support offices.
- Provide direction for integrating private and public funds to maximize results and respond to community needs in most effective and efficient way.
- Manage overall financial integrity of the program to WV Support Offices, donors, the government and other stakeholders.
Risk Management and Security:
- Ensuring the organisation and the Board is equipped to optimise risks toward achieving country strategy through a robust Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) policy, framework, and monitoring mechanism.
- Maintaining complete accountability to the Board and Regional leadership on the management of risks facing the organisation.
- Validating the levels of risks through a rigorous risk-based integrated audits and report to the Board.
- Maintaining, and regularly review security and safety plans and protocols and ensure understanding and compliance by all staff and visitors.
- Ensuring staff safety and orientating staff to the management of potential risks related to operation especially in restricted context.
- Liaising with other international organisations to collect information about the security environment and, where appropriate, discuss joint responses to security threats
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Minimum Qualification required: Master’s degree in Management, Social Sciences or equivalent.
- Experience: At least 8 years’ senior management experience, including 5 years’ in a proven Sales and Marketing role with ambitious sales targets, with overall responsibility for growing the sales portfolio of a profit or not-for-profit company and 5 years’ experience in Governance.
- Proven Leadership and Management skills.
- Good Sales and Marketing skills.
- Proven Decision-making skills.
- Experience in leading executive teams, or leaders of leaders.
- Experience with a Board.
- Good sales and financial management capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and verbal), including computer literacy.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, board and other stakeholders.
- High level of confidence and confidentiality.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Must have extensive life/work experience in South Africa
Preferred: A qualification in Sales and Marketing management, 5 years’ experience managing a P&L.
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel.
- Travel: 40% Domestic/international travel is required.
- On call: 100%.