The FI Sub-Theme Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and supporting strategies and projects for Financial Inclusion sub-theme of AKF (Afg) to improve producers, farmer, SMEs and BMOs access to finance. The Manager will focus primarily on three main areas: 1) Manage FI focused projects, 2) advancing the community based financial services mechanism (such as CBSGs, CBSGs Clusters and BMOs internal saving and lending) 3) working with banks, MFIs and research organizations to understand the financial services that exist within the market system, identify the gaps and accordingly develop projects / programmes.
Core Responsibilities and Duties:
SWEEP Project Management:
- Support regional and national sector teams to recruit project staff and oversee their induction on AKF (Afg) and project systems.
- Lead overall Project Operations Manual to ensure that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met on time and within budget and that financial, operational, and reporting requirements of the donor and AKF (Afg) are adhered to.
- Oversee project implementation within AKF (Afg) system and a partner organization in Ningarhar.
- Maintain good working relationship with World Bank (donor), partners and key stakeholders.
- Effectively plan and manage project management committee.
- Work with AKF (Afg) MERL team to ensure effective monitoring and evaluation plan, turn data into actionable insights to guide implementation, and disseminate results and learning.
- Lead the development of reports for donors, as required.
- Develop and share internal and external project performance metrics.
- Manage the activities and performance of project staff and consultants, ensuring high-quality execution and delivery of project targets.
- Work with AKF (Afg) Finance, HR and Operations teams to ensure all payments/activities are in compliance with donor requests, restrictions and regulations.
- Develop and maintain budgets for each respective project work-stream, ensuring operational plans are aligned with project budgets and operations manual.
- Monitor project expenditures and manage budget variances, realigning as required.
Manage AKF (Afg) Financial Inclusion sub-theme:
- Serving as the leader of Financial Inclusion sub-theme responsible for the overall direction and management the Program Financial Inclusion strategies and implementations.
- Engaging stakeholders across the market system identify and prioritize actions to improve all issues related to farmers, producers and SMEs access to finance.
- Working with stakeholders to design and then implement high-priority interventions to improve the availability of financial products in rural areas.
- Managing the performance of the interventions designed to enhance access to finance setting key performance indicators, milestones, and targets; engaging stakeholders to creatively solve problems and overcome obstacles in order to achieve desired results.
- Identify staff training needs in the area of financial inclusion and oversee staff capacity development as required.
- To carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects AKF’s commitment to protecting children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy?
Occasional Significant Duties:
- Oversee Inclusive Economic Growth Sector in absence of Sector Lead.
- Represent IEG in external events (meetings, workshops, and seminars)
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in business administration, economics, MBA preferred.
- Experience in working with World Bank-funded projects strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in analytical and strategic roles within the financial sector development spheres.
- Related work experience and knowledge of the Afghanistan economic, social and development context preferred.
- Experience in implementing women economic empowerment programs.
- Experience in leading/managing donor funded projects required
Required Core Competencies:
- Ability to emphasis on high performance, teamwork, accountability, and results
- Highly facilitative and collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to build relationships with all kinds of people.
- Excellent analytical skills.