ARC has been working in South Sudan since 1994 in partnership with returning refugees, displaced people, host communities, and government health services to improve access to services and healthcare service delivery. ARC has also been actively involved in providing services to survivors of gender-based violence through case management, livelihoods training, and women’s empowerment activities. Working in three states, ARC has developed strong relationships with communities and leaders, involving them in programming and building local capacity. By improving the health and nutrition of target communities and providing comprehensive reproductive health and protection services, ARC aims to support healthy and productive lives of beneficiaries through integrated health, nutrition, and protection activities implemented with gender- and conflict-sensitivity.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Nutrition Coordinator is responsible for the implementation and overall technical support/guidance and integration of nutrition programs, technical support and analysis of nutrition monitoring data, and the design of new or continuing nutrition programs. This requires technical support and oversight of both ongoing and new nutrition projects. The Nutrition Coordinator mentors and builds the capacity of staff, establishes clear systems and protocols to ensure services are of quality and meet international and nationally-accepted standards. The Nutrition Coordinator also may represent ARC or partners at donor meetings,nutrition cluster meetings, and other inter-agency meetings and contributes to the development and implementation of new programs and services.
The Nutrition Coordinator will be working under the supervision of the Program Manager and in collaboration with Health Coordinators, and County Coordinators. The Nutrition Coordinator will supervise national nutrition staff. The Nutrition Coordinator will be based in Kapoeta South County, but will be responsible for the overall design and implementation of nutrition activities throughout Budi and Kapoeta South counties. Frequent travel between counties will be required.
Technical Guidance and Leadership – 50%
- Identify training needs of staff and County Health Department (CHD)counterparts and develop capacity building trainings and mentorship to strengthen implementation of services, technical capacity of nutritionpersonnel and CHD
- Strengthen the capacity of the CHD in technical planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting and advocacy of nutrition services in order to prepare the CHD for future handover
- Implement and monitor case management based on existing guidelines and protocols.
- Provide technical oversight in the integration of nutrition activities in other sectors such as health and food security.
- Travel frequently to ARC- and partner-supported sites for supervisory visits.
- Ensure the CMAM, IYCF and ENP activities are implemented as per the project proposal and work plans.
- Ensure high coverage of CMAM screening across ARC's intervention areas with clear behavioral change communication outcomes;
- Manage the implementation of rapid assessment, SMART surveys and M&E framework/tools for CMAM;
- Provide support in monitoring and implementation of nutrition programs as per CMAM protocols through field visits to out-patient therapeutic care (OTP) and stabilization center (SC)
Program Design, Development, and Implementation – 35%
- Plan and coordinate the implementation of all nutrition interventions to be in-line with approved budgets, donor requirements and program deliverables and timelines
- Manage nutrition sector grants in conjunction develop regular work plans, reports, and budget forecasts and spending plans for nutrition sector activities
- Oversee the implementation of a monitoring and evaluation plan for nutritionprograms, in line with the ARC global results framework and donor guidelines.
- Ensure solid management of nutrition supply chain management, including proper and timely procurement
- Along with nutrition program staff, conduct needs assessments, identify new program opportunities and support strategic development of nutritionprograms
- Coordinate the development of new proposals and initiatives and securing of financial and other resources for nutrition programs
Representation and Coordination – 15%
- Maintain ongoing relations with nutrition sector actors (donors, bilateral and multilateral coordination bodies, research organizations and academics, and relevant government institutions) in South Sudan
- Represent ARC and liaise with donors, local authorities, Ministry of Health, UN, and international and national NGOs and clusters and nutrition fora to facilitate successful coordination of activities and ensure transparency in the community
- Liaise regularly with the HQ Health Technical Unit to provide updates on the program, discuss emerging challenges, and collaborate on the design of new programs or changes to existing programs
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition or related experience
- 5-7 years of experience in managing nutrition programs in emergency settings; preferably in Africa
- Experience in designing, implementing and analyzing nutrition surveys
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting nutrition data and writing reports to a high technical standard;
- Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff;
- Strong participatory leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to motivate and counsel staff working in a complex emergency environment;
- Experience and/or knowledge of South Sudan (history, politics, culture, etc.) and sensitive to issues involved in working in South Sudan preferable;
- Strong verbal and written communication experience;
- Strong computer literacy; strong skills in Microsoft Office;
- High level of computer literacy including experience using nutrition related statistical packages such as ENA, Epi Info or SPSS;
- Must be fluent in English
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes direction well, but also works independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities.
- Prior experience working in Africa desirable.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Willingness to frequently travel and live in remote and sometimes insecure situation.
- Cultural sensitivity essential.
American Refugee Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. American Refugee Committee complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.