The Open Algorithms (OPAL) is a socio-technological innovation project to leverage private sector data for public good purposes by “sending the code to the data” in a privacy preserving, predictable, participatory, scalable and sustainable manner. It has two main objectives: providing a far better picture of human reality to official statisticians, policymakers, planners, businesses, and citizens, while enabling greater inclusion and inputs of all members of societies on the kinds and uses of analyses performed on data about themselves. OPAL, developed by a consortium composed of Data-Pop Alliance, Imperial College London, the MIT Media Lab, Orange and the World Economic Forum, builds on years of work of this group and others, and is a key milestone towards realizing a vision where data is at the heart of societal development around the globe, in support of the UN Sustainable Developments Goals and democracy. OPAL is starting its with pilots in Senegal and Colombia with funding from the Agence française de développement (AFD) provided to the Overseas Development Institute (ODI).
The OPAL Program Manager (PM) will support the implementation of OPAL’s first 2 pilots in Senegal and Colombia on a daily basis under the guidance of and in close coordination with the OPAL Program Director (PD) and support from the full time Program Administrator at ODI, with in particular a key role in the management of partnerships, fundraising efforts, and design and development of internal and external communications materials.
To that end s/he will specifically:
- support the identification and prioritization of user needs and use case definition and translation into technical, governance and capacity building work streams in particular, under the guidance of the Program Director (PD)
- oversee the implementation of the communication strategy and assist the PD in adapting the communication strategy;
- lead the development and design of communication materials including basic informational material (e.g. 2, 5 and 10 pagers, …), quarterly newsletters, EC and external PowerPoints, papers;
- promote visibility of OPAL project and organize events and dissemination strategies around key moments and milestones of the OPAL project development globally and locally, in line with EC decisions and in close coordination with the PD
- develop and maintain a lead tracking process for partnership management and support in reaching out to new partners, follow-up for expressions of interest, maintain and develop key relationships for short and long-term project development, in line with EC decisions and in coordination of the PD
- support the PD with fundraising efforts including proposal writing, scoping of opportunities, etc.
- maintain up to date and animate the website with content TBD;
- support impact evaluation and business model development of OPAL and metrics to measure program adoption, impact, and effectiveness
- support definition and reporting of the tracking of the project and pilot objectives.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years of work experience on management of complex projects and large budget involving multiple partners
- Experience managing and supporting projects remotely
- Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline (including international affairs, social sciences, business / project administration, media and communication, strategic design)
- Interest in development issues and developing countries contexts preferably having spent time in developing countries
- Experience working in the data and /or technology industry, ideally related to the telecom industry and development projects
- Experience working with government institutions and civil society organizations
- Superior written, verbal, and visual communication skills and experience writing and editing long-form and short-form content, including funding proposals
- Experience communicating project results to internal and external audiences (strong In-Design and PPT skills)
- Professional fluency in English and French
- Conversant in Spanish
- Excellent writing, facilitation, anticipation and organizational skills
- Maturity, rigor, ability to remain calm under stress and to work and maintain relationships with people and team from different cultural and professional backgrounds; outstanding work ethics and drive
- Must be comfortable in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and able to manage priorities well
- Demonstrated success driving content and communication strategies, and managing global programs in highly matrixed organizations.
- Strong attention to detail
Locations: London (UK) or NY (USA). Willingness to travel internationally to monitor the implementation and to represent the project at international events.
Contractual terms: The successful candidate will be hired as an ODI contractor, starting on middle / late January 2018 and initially for 9 months with possible extension. The contractor is expected to work around 16/20 days/month on the project. Fee: EUR 200-300 per day.