UN Children's Fund, Sri Lanka
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child,
Under supervision of Programme Manager, performs a variety of financial, administrative duties essential for the efficient operation and management of the Zone office.
How can you make a difference?
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Serves as custodian/cashier for office petty cash or special cash account in accordance with financial rules & regulations. Assures that vouchers are completed for each transaction. Creates monthly accounting records and requests for replenishments for payment by Colombo as often as needed.
- Manages all arrangements related to travel and informs staff & missions accordingly. Organizes allocation of vehicles and keeps track of all travel plans. Works with Area Security Coordinator and Deputy ASC and Emergency Operations Center to alert movements of staff and seek approval prior to initiation of any trip. Makes hotel reservations or other arrangements for accommodation, maintains documentation pertaining to the purpose of travel including filing of trip reports.
- Certifies administrative invoices in accordance with financial/administrative rules and regulations. Compiles all supporting documentation for VISION transaction processing by Finance Unit in Colombo.
- Supervise drivers and manages the field office vehicle fleet. Coordinates with Colombo administration in the organization of the more complex vehicle maintenance and repairs. Assures that vehicle maintenance is performed as needed. Manages the fuel replenishment system, as well as driver overtime and field travel tracking systems.
- Searches office files and record relating to a variety of programme and administrative topics for information and references.
- Selects information and records in specified format for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, projects or programme plans and general reference documents. Drafts routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports via oral instructions, previous correspondence or other available information sources, in accordance with standard office procedures. Handles outgoing and incoming UNICEF pouch. Maintain, update and transmit the inventory records of non-expendable equipment. Maintain office filing system. Ensures security of confidential documents.
- Obtains quotations for local procurement purposes. Assure that appropriate documentation is maintained for goods received, and that the storage of incoming goods is in compliance with the organizational standards and systems. Coordinates with logistics and programme staff to organize the timely order and delivery of office and project supplies.
- Oversees Office equipment including switchboard, UHF/VHF radio equipment, fax machines, and assures that they remain in good working order. Provides support to staff with regard to computer hardware and liaises with IT staff for resolution of IT problems
- Ensures office premises and warehouse are maintained, repairs, as necessary, are timely done and utilities uninterrupted.
- Perform occasional translation and interpretation work.
- Assists staff members to process necessary personnel-related documents, in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations. Maintains facts on living conditions and special entitlements. Maintains leave records of Zone office.
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have
- GCE Advanced Level with pass in English. Technical course in the field of Accounts also desirable. CIMA or similar certifications an asset.
- A minimum 6 years general administrative work experience which should include a good knowledge of administrative practices and procedures, and basic accounting functions particularly in petty cash management. 2 years experience in UN or NGO agency preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of English - both oral and written, to enable routine functions to be carried out independently and interact with other staff members.
- Knowledge of at least of one of both local languages - Sinhala and Tamil required in order to communicate with Government and outside contacts, to be able to read documentation coming in from counterpart organizations, or from local suppliers.
For every Child, you demonstrate
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.