• Provides technical and policy advice and/or support to the Government and relevant stakeholders in the development and implementation of their policies and programmes for improved food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture;
• Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for food, nutrition security and sustainable agriculture;
• Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development plans and activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials;
• Interacts with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture;
• Analyses global and country specific requirements, organizes and leads an in-depth assessment of the policy and institutional framework of food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture and identifies areas for improvements;
• Organizes and participates relevant meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences, advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and increase policy dialogue and develop and negotiate effective collaboration;
• Prepares reports to FAO, the European Union and the Government on progress achievement and issues related to FIRST implementation;
• Designs and participates in resource mobilization activities.
• Analyses and identifies the capacity for policy analysis and development of relevant ministries and institutions, and leads the formulation of capacity development plans for the Government within the Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainable Agriculture (FNSSA) domains;
• Advocates and promotes evidence-based, multi-sectoral and inter-governmental policy dialogues and information sharing;
• Advises the Government on the development of capacity development materials, on-line tools and information kit and promote synergy among any existing food security and nutrition information management systems in Sri Lanka;
• Identifies obstacles to effective interactions between government entities at central and decentralized level and proposes models for solutions;
• Reviews relevant project and programme proposals for appropriate integration of food security and nutrition interventions;
• Develops effective working relationships with international and national partners and promotes effective coordination mechanisms.
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, food security and nutrition and/or sustainable agriculture or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in food security and nutrition and/or agriculture and rural development policy analysis, including policy assistance and capacity development;
• Working knowledge of English
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of experience in providing policy assistance and technical guidance to governments in the context of a food security, nutrition and/or sustainable agriculture programmes.
• Extent and relevance of experience in facilitating policy dialogue and capacity development around food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture among a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Extent and relevance of experience in resource mobilization.
• All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
• Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
• Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
• Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
How to Apply
• Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
• Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date.
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.