Internews Network, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
The Earth Journalism Network Project Coordinator will play a lead role in Internews’ editorial, capacity building, and networking activities aimed at boosting the spread of news and information about climate resilience in the Bay of Bengal region. This position will support Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) activities with a regional focus to mentor local journalists, support activities like workshops and focus groups, represent EJN in local forums and communities, and participate in the selection of beneficiaries for EJN activities and funds.
Note: This position is full-time, but depending on budget available, may be willing to consider this a 50% level-of-effort position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Support the daily activities of the Bay of Bengal project in the selected region or country, by boosting the spread of news and information about climate resilience among policy-makers, the general public and marginalized communities.
- Organize and facilitate training and mentoring activities, including workshops and focus group discussions, focused on climate resilience.
- Assist in the selection of participants and judging processes for EJN activities and programs, including organizational grants, story grants and Fellowship.
- Carry out research as assigned and support researchers hired by EJN to assess information ecosystems, partner organizations and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Support the publication of content on the Third pole and other EJN media properties and provide editorial support to project staff and partners to ensure that content is accessible to the media and target audiences. This includes:
- Aggregating and distribute content from local media, including through a regular newsletter or media digest.
- Post stories on Third Pole and EJN social media sites.
- Arranging partnerships for content with local media, helping to identify local media outlets and journalists we can partner with, and commission stories from.
- Produce stories to publish on the Third Pole and other sites supported by EJN.
- And where necessary supervising story development, editing and translating stories.
- Represent EJN at key conferences and events, including with funders and policy experts.
- Assist in the development and launch of environmental and data journalism training materials and curriculum.
- Provide training on media and social media and advising other stakeholders involved in the project.
- Work with print and/or online publications to establish regular coverage related to climate resilience.
- Liaise with grantees, donors, partner universities and other key stakeholders.
- Assist with fundraising for EJN projects, including networking with donors and partners to propose projects and market EJN services.
- Provide regular reports on your achievements and impacts, and increase the profile of EJN in local and international media.
- Work to increase the profile of women journalists and facilitate their access to communications tools.
- Monitor project activities and achievements and evaluate results in regular reports.
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation activities to collect and interpret data for EJN’s indicators spreadsheets.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Three to five years of experience with environmental reporting in media and/or training of media professionals to work on issues critical to other development sectors (e.g., science, health, environment/climate change, etc.).
- Strong media management or journalism experience.
- Interest and strong background in environmental research and policy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and at least one other South Asian language.
- Proven organization and administrative skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize with a shifting workload.
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural and team environment.
- Relevant university degree.
- Interest in working with online media and mapping tools.
- Good communication, presentation and inter-personal skills.