What to do if you missed a phone call from your prospective employer?
- BY Amber Wilson
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Project Director
FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Project Director for an anticipated USAID-funded global SBCC procurement to support countries in achieving desired improvements in health and development outcomes, including increasing demand for family planning (FP) satisfied with modern contraception; ending preventable child and maternal deaths (EPCMD); achieving and maintaining an AIDS-Free Generation (AFG); and achieving a malaria-free world.. The Project Director will provide overall leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC). S/he will direct all project activities and staff, and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID both centrally and with field missions. S/he will also serve as the external face of the project to the donor and the broader development community.
Availability of this position is contingent upon release of a solicitation by USAID and recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project to FHI 360 and final USAID approval of the candidate. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
• Provide technical leadership in SBCC and/or program wide activities, including: technical leadership in design, development, and planning.
• Provide technical leadership in development and execution of SBCC capacity strengthening strategies.
• Ensure internal management systems for contracting, recruitment, and delivery move rapidly to respond to the demands for service delivery on the ground.
• Foster innovation and new ideas for better targeted, and more cost-efficient and effective strategies for SBCC.
• Develop, manage and maintain strategic partnerships among a variety of stakeholders, partners, governments, civil society and donor organizations.
• Identify opportunities and negotiate partnership programs to leverage other synergistic donor, governmental and organizational resources.
• Supervise technical, management and operations, and strategic information staff to carry out activities designed in cooperation with USAID; in so doing, ensure activities are fully accomplished, meet expected technical and management quality standards, and are delivered on schedule.
• Oversee technical reviews, including outside evaluations if any, and manage indicated changes in program direction and focus.
• Ensure solid and regular communication and engagement with both core and other strategic partners, providing them technical guidance and oversight to ensure optimal participation in the project.
• Oversee monitoring and evaluation systems, ensuring that program is adequately monitored and that evaluative thinking is incorporated appropriately into the program wherever possible.
• Guide technical and organizational capacity building initiatives with local partners and senior staff to ensure delivery of high-quality training, technical assistance, and reports.
• Represent USAID interests in advancing evidence-based and innovative key population strategies and approaches on a global, regional and local level.
• Oversee full administration of the project, including human and financial resources.
•Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field. PhD preferred.
• Minimum 10 years of relevant experience (15-20 years preferred) in management of and technical direction to SBCC projects and/or programs.
• Has ability to provide technical direction to projects, ensure high quality SBCC outputs and impact, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of SBCC activities.
• Thought leadership in SBCC and demonstrated experience in advancing the field.
• Strong new business development experience in SBCC.
• Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
• Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
• Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English
• Demonstrates ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
• Effectively applies knowledge of SBCC to solve range of problems.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.