TITLE: Programs Director
DEPARTMENT: Papua New Guinea (PNG),
REPORTS TO: Country Representative
STARTING DATE: April 2018
DURATION: 3 Years
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
Are you dynamic and like to step up to challenges? If so, PSI PNG, a vibrant and exciting country program is seeking a Director of Programs to manage its growing activity portfolio. This country program is currently broadening its areas of intervention across multiple donors to focus on an increasing number of disease burden areas and in Gender Based Violence (GBV). The Director of Programs will be part of a diverse and committed team and there is incredible opportunity for growth. The successful candidate will have experience successfully implementing Economic Development, GBV as well as Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH), Malaria and HIV&AIDS activities, possess significant leadership, management and international development experience, tact and strong skills in cross-cultural communication and a commitment to capacity building. The Director of Programs will provide technical and managerial oversight to all programming and specifically GBV and SRH in accordance with donor deliverables. This position will be responsible for indirect supervision of approximately 35 people, at least 3 direct reports and will be a member of the Senior Management Team. The position is an unaccompanied post based in Port Moresby with limited international allowances. Frequent travel to the field will be required.
This job has the following responsibilities:
- Platform Technical Support
- Lead in the development, implementation and management of evidence-based programming that is in line with PSI’s best practices, national health plans, and platform strategic plans.
- Direct the development of annual marketing plans and work plans for GBV, WASH and SRH including Family Planning.
- Direct the implementation of program logframes and contribute to setting annual performance targets for the project teams.
- Guide teams in the execution of relevant project deliverables for GBV and SRH in collaboration with the Line Managers.
- In collaboration with the CR, ensure sound financial management of the platform portfolio, including programmatic budgeting, quarterly spending projections, monthly spending review (ASR), and monitoring of payments.
- Review research conducted in support of programs and assist Line Managers to use the results to increase health impact and efficiency.
- Coordinate with appropriate PSI headquarters technical departments to ensure that program activities follow best practices and TA is utilized for the advancement of the platform.
- Maintain regular and strong Government, stakeholder and partner relations and engage in relevant fundraising activities, including strategizing and proposal development.
- Participate actively in partner meetings, working groups and other coordinating bodies.
- Ensure compliance in project implementation including that all donor and PSI reporting requirements are fulfilled in a timely and high-quality manner.
- Program Management
- Assist senior management staff to establish and enforce platform policies and procedures in order to achieve PSI Minimum Standards and to uphold the organizations reputation at all times.
- Develop and implement systems that result in improved programmatic efficiencies and synergies.
- Provide guidance to the GBV and SRH teams to develop and implement appropriate planning tools and training.
- Ensure inter-departmental collaboration between the platform’s cross-cutting departments, including Research and Monitoring & Evaluation, Communication, Finance, HR and Admin and Program Line Managers to support smooth operations, innovation and continuous improvements in programming.
- Engage in relevant fundraising activities, including strategizing and new business development.
- Assist and support all PSI PNG platform activities to have best visibility and recognition amongst Host Government, Donors and Partners.
- Performance Improvement
- Raise the performance of key line managers and the teams they lead, creating a culture of shared leadership and ownership of programs and processes.
- Facilitate training and performance improvement opportunities for staff in program department.
- Continuously assess progress of teams and individuals, adjusting technical inputs based on the needs required to meet organizational and individual objectives.
- Mentor and coach managers on the effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation of their programs, particularly in respect of key deliverables.
- Complete annual appraisals for direct reports.
- Assist relevant line managers in conducting annual appraisals of their direct reports and developing annual performance objectives.
- Attract and support recruitment the right people for the right jobs.
What are we looking for?
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline and/or equivalent work experience as a technical advisor, consultant, program manager/director or similar role.
- Minimum of 4 years international experience with a health or marketing organization.
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated staff supervision and project oversight.
- Knowledge of health service delivery programs in developing countries.
- Familiarity with PSI’s performance framework for social marketing and communications or experience in using behavioral research to guide programmatic decisions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with donors such as DFAT, GFATM, USG and private companies such as Exxon-Mobil.
- Familiarity with private sector engagement, preferably with own experience in private sector.
- Familiarity with the political, social and cultural context of the Pacific/Melanesia and particularly PNG. Experience from PNG preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, including technical, written and oral communications skills in English.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite. Graphic Design and Statistics Software knowledge is a plus.
- The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker, and will have excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; a knowledge of partnership approaches to development; and proven ability to produce results.
Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.