The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional non-profit foundation with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce the impact of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC’s activities is Asia with the South, South East and East Asia being the primary sub-regions.
ADPC has more than 30 years of working experience in Asia along with the national and local Government of its charter member countries as well as countries of the Regional Consultative Committee (RCC) on Disaster Management. ADPC works to build preparedness at all levels, from regional, to national, sub-national and even to individual communities.
Statement of Intent:
ADPC is currently looking for a suitable candidate for the position of Project Manager. As part of the Preparedness for Response and Recovery Department and the project team based in Sri Lanka, the Project Manager will be mainly responsible for leading the planning and implementation of project activities at the national and sub-national levels with Government, Local NGO partners, Private Sector and ADPC staff in Sri Lanka in. This position is open only to Sri Lankan nationals.
Note: It is not the intent of this position description to cover every aspect of the position requirements, rather to highlight the most important areas of personal and joint responsibility.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters in Disaster Management, Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Social Science, natural science and natural resource management, or any other related fields is essential. PhD in a related field would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in project implementation, coordination, planning, and capacity building.
- Proven experience in Emergency Response Management such as scenario based contingency planning, Incident command system development, application of specific technical information and data into training and capacity building programs.
- Familiarity and at least 5 years of experience of working with the Provincial/National Governments in the field of Disaster Management or Climate Change.
- Previous experience in working with Humanitarian NGOs or international organization in similar programs.
- Knowledge of working ethics of national or state government agencies, International NGOs, National NGOs, private organizations and international organizations would prove to be an added advantage.
- Self-motivated, pro-active and takes initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, and organize work & time independently;
- Verbal and written communication skills in both English and Sinhalese is essential;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team-oriented work style, and experience in working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of development work at local and regional levels;
- Strong desires to learn, undertake new challenges, must a creative problem-solver, and must have self-confidence, willingness to work hard, good sense of humor but with seriousness about the quality and excellence of work.
- Operate within all ADPC Guidelines & Procedures/ Policies
- Operate within Government Procedures/Policies
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Focal person for assigned project at the country level for coordination with Government, Local NGO partners, the private sector and other stakeholder agencies.
- Plan, coordinate and implement the project activities in the country.
- Coordinate with project manager/s in ADPC HQ in implementing the project activities at a regular basis.
- Serve as a trainer for the trainings conducted under the project at the country level
- Develop the training curriculum according to local needs and establishing facility for knowledge management & promotion of learning among Local NGOs and Civil Society Groups.
- Provide technical resource inputs in activities to create better coordination among humanitarian actors and improved humanitarian leadership and provide inputs for training needs and capacity assessment for Government Organizations, National, Local Humanitarian NGOs, Civil Society Groups, the private sector and other stakeholders.
- Review training design and training materials for capacity building & training programs being implemented for preparedness for emergency response and recovery.
- Manage day-to-day local project activities of the project in Sri Lanka and represent ADPC as and when needed.
- Coordinate with other members of ADPC staff, and provide necessary support in implementation of the training and capacity building activities in Sri Lanka.
- Conduct program monitoring and evaluation activities, contribute in achieving all expected results, and develop M&E reports.
- Attend and organize internal coordination meetings and provide assistance in building ownership to improve coordination.
- Submit the required progress reports to ADPC HQ for local project activities.
- Assist in increasing the program outreach through development of new programmes, engagement in advocacy, assistance in fund mobilization at the country level.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Head –preparedness for Response and Recovery Department and the duty station supervisor/program manager/s.
- Director, Preparedness for Response and Recovery, ADPC
- Work closely with other staff in PRR team in the HQ.