Purpose of the position:
To provide support to the project design, implementation and monitoring in the Peace Building activities of ECaP, guided by WV Kenya Policies. Fully responsible for the smooth, cost effective, efficient and timely implementation of Peace Building project activities as per the implementation plan and allocated budget. Collaborate with National Peace building Coordinator and the Project Manager to ensure operational and administrative support to project activities. Ensure community participation and involvement in peace building activities for success of their development process for sustainability.
To facilitate ECaP initiatives geared towards reducing both intra and inter-community conflicts between the refugee and host in Kakuma and Kalobeyei in line with the Refugee Act, Peace Education Policy and the National Peace Building Policy.
Peace Building management in the AP 50%
- Provide support for responsible and accountable management and coordination of the ECaP activities in Kakuma and Kalobeyei in accordance with WV Policies and guidelines to WV Kenya.
- Promote good stewardship and high accountability through efficient and economical utilization of resources in the project
- Liaise closely with the Project Manager, National Peace Building Coordinator and AP Manager in all matters pertaining to effective management and implementation of Peace Building activities in the area program.
- Liaise with the Project Manager and the National Peace Building Coordinator to handle visitors including donors, partners, support offices and national office staff visiting the project.
- Work closely with other peace stakeholder in Turkana County to foster peace in Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
- Sensitize and engage peace committees, communities, government departments, school Children, youth and women groups on peace building initiatives.
Carry out project design, implementation, monitoring and reporting 20%
- Execute activities as per ECaP Detailed Implementation Plan timely and responsibly
- Monitor progress of activity implementation to ensure highest quality standards and accountability based on LEAP framework.
- Participate in program design process specifically in assessments and generating community priority needs in Peace Building
- Generate regular monthly, quarterly and annual site Peace Building reports
- Support ECaP staff and partners to implement and monitor project activities towards realization of project outputs in a timely and effective manner
- Participate in project periodic review meetings
Representation and Networking 10%
- Represent ECaP in Peace Building Forums at the field level and establish strategic partnerships with other organizations
- Establish and liaise closely with other partners, agencies and local leaders regarding project activities to ensure and promote a coordinated approach to project implementation, including participation in relevant workshops, meetings and to keep the Project Manager and the National Peace Building Coordinator informed on the same
- Develop a network of gathering and documenting of information relevant to Peace Building operations
- Establish appropriate contacts with local counterparts at the County and neighboring counties.
Community mobilization and sensitization 15%
- Assist communities identify their priorities, opportunities and resources for effective Peace Building project implementation
- Facilitate communities to fully participate in project activities for enhanced community ownership and sustainability of Peace Building program through sports, cultural events, national and international events
- Facilitate awareness creation and sensitization of communities in Peace Building
- Enhance synergies within the communities to achieve integration and attainment of regional peace objectives
- Facilitate peace forums aimed at promoting peace in communities including elders dialogue sessions, women forums and Peace Committee forums
- Facilitate identification and capacity building of community leadership and community based organizations in Peace Building matters
- Enhance and sensitize communities and partners in Local Capacities for Peace and ensure LCP and DNH principles are mainstreamed in development planning across different sectors of the project.
Staff Care and Spiritual Leadership 5%
- Participate in staff devotions
- Perform any other responsibilities that may be assigned by your supervisor from time to time
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-Peace Building, prior experience, or on-the-job training.
- Requires a degree in Peace-Building, Sociology, International Relations, Conflict studies or other related field and at least 2 years field experience working with Communities in Peace-Building programming focusing on children and familiar with program design and management in an NGO context.
- Experience in working with communities. Very strong communication skills
- Knowledge of humanitarian industry including sphere standards (Core Humanitarian Standards), NGO code of conduct and humanitarian charter, LCP and DNH.
- Strong problem solving, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work with different partners, local authorities, local organizations and NGOs, to develop and maintain positive relationships.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Ability to cope and deal with stress and work under stressful work conditions is a requirement
- Commitment to World Vision Core Values and Vision Statement
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context
- Agreement with World Vision’s Christian ethos and participation in devotions
- The holder of this position must be in possession of a valid motorcycle riding license and able to ride.
- Knowledgeable of MS Word, Excel, Power Point etc.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Attend and participate/lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
- Perform other duties as required.