INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit, humanitarian aid organization founded in 1992. INTERSOS works towards a world of equality, justice, peace and solidarity, to achieve this INTERSOS helps people to live in dignity and safety, alleviating suffering and meeting their needs. The mission of INTERSOS is to support people, families and communities in areas most effected by crisis around the world, providing crucial assistance to populations in life threatening situations, in situations of famine and suffering resulting from extreme poverty, disasters, and conflict.
INTERSOS started to work in Lebanon in 2006 to support the Lebanese people affected by the Lebanese-Israeli war. Since 2013 INTERSOS has been supporting the vulnerable populations in Lebanon affected by the Syrian conflict, including both Syrian refugees and affected Lebanese people.
General purpose of the position
The Protection Coordinator is responsible for overall leadership, coordination and technical support to Protection programming in Lebanon, which include an extensive Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Child Protection (CP), Psyco Social Support (PSS) and Legal components.
The Protection Coordinator will also be in charge of providing technical inputs to the protection strategy and programme development at the national, level in order to maintain and expand our portfolio.
The Protection Coordinator is responsible to:
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the protection component of the different programs supporting the protection managers and specialists
- Providing technical support to Protection Staff of Lebanon Mission to build skills and expertise.
- Support the management of the Protection staff, in coordination with the PMs, HoB and HoM.
- Play a key role in the definition of the Protection Strategy of the mission
- Play a key role in program development through contributions to new concepts and proposals (writing of the technical part and contributing to the design of the budget).
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the protection program (or protection component of the programs), participating also in the donor reporting
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meeting.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provide a clear support and supervision and mentoring of the Protection team through regular field visit, meeting with the staff and the line managers.
- Ensure that the services provided in the different projects adhere to best practices.
- Support the integration of the Protection Programming with the other sectors, including Wash, Livelihood, Education, Basic Assistance.
- Human Resources - technical support to Protection Staff.
- Play the role of the functional Manager of the Protection Staff
- In collaboration with HR and Project Managers, support the recruitment of the staff
- Build and supervise the Protection staff
- Take part in the evaluation of the protection staff
- Organize training and identify capacity building for the national and international staff (nationalization of the staff is a priority of the mission).
- Organize a monthly internal working group with all the key Protection staff of the mission.
- Protection Strategy Development and new funding
- Provide analysis of the protection situation of the country
- Lead the definition of the protection programming strategy for INTERSOS
- Support the Programme Coordinator and the HoM to design a Lebanon Country Strategy.
- Support the design of potential funding opportunities for Protection programming
- Lead the writing of new funding opportunities.
- Monitor, Evaluation and Supervision of Project Management
- Provide direction to staff in the implementation of the work planning, budgets and spending (relative to the Protection component)
- Support the Project Staff in the planning and the monitoring of the achievement of the activities, deliverables and budget.
- With the support of the Programme Coordinator, provide feedbacks on the monthly monitoring tool (PAT) to PMs (both technical and financial)
- Support the Project staff in producing high quality donor report (in their protection sections)
- Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at sectorial coordination meetings.
- Maintaining productive working relationships with Protection, GBV and CPiE Working Groups at the national and field level.
- Ensuring the participation of INTERSOS to relevant Working Groups and Task Forces (responsabilities can be delegated)
- Briefing all protection staff on discussions held during working groups.
- Organizing the internal protection meetings on a monthly basis.
- Developing strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Monthly report to be submitted on the 15th of the month on
- Protection trends and analysis
- Activities and Programme Achievements.
Other objectives and duties: As requested by the Programme Coordinator (or the Head of Mission), for the effective implementation and quality of the protection activities.
Education: Master degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, Gender studies or other relevant to the position
- At least 5 years in humanitarian assistance and 2 years of international relief and emergency experience in Coordination or Advisor Position,
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (desirable)
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Experienced in Protection
- Background in protection and human rights projects
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and quick adaptability and flexibility in stressful environment
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative and financial resources.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Previous achievement in Project Proposal Writing
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Arabic is an asset,
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM.
- Ability to work in partnership with local organizations and under stressful conditions.
- Excellent diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Adaptability to changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Good computing skills