Who We Are
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 500 academies and 100,000 pupils in Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, India, and Liberia. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in 2018 across existing markets.
The Bridge Offer
Roughly 2.7 billion people live on less than $2/day. In their communities, there is a huge gap between the education offered and the needs of the population. Too often the schools available to them fail to deliver for these families. The quality offered results in the average pupil from our communities in East Africa failing to reach proficiency in primary school and on average fail the primary exit exams that are critical to their development. Teachers are unresponsive and occasionally abusive, and fees are often unaffordable. Even government schools can cost families a significant amount of money after all the additional fees are added up. With 47% of classroom teaching time lost due to teacher absenteeism or neglect, 55% of families in our communities end up choosing private schools instead, but then fear for the stability and sustainability of their choice as many schools close after only a few years of service. Both the government schools and the private schools tend to lack well-conceived scope and sequences, instructional materials, student achievement data, and the capacity to react to that data.
Families are actively searching for a better academic alternative.
Enter Bridge International Academies. As of September 2017, Bridge operates more than 500 academies, serving roughly 100,000 pupils in Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, India, and Liberia.
Bridge utilises a scripted-learning education methodology coupled with 'big data' (all teachers have tablets for instruction, assessment, and data-gathering) that allows us to make curriculum a little better every day.
With plans to enrol ten million students ten years from now, Bridge International Academies offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting, ambitious, and socially conscious companies, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
Tech at Bridge
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Bridge is a for-profit company that deeply believes that financially sustainable solutions are the long-term answer to development in emerging countries. The Company is backed by top-tier, global venture capital firms. Bridge International Academies offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world's most exciting, ambitious, and socially conscious companies. We look forward to getting to know you!
About The Role
We are looking for a full time Software Quality Engineer to join our new Hyderabad-based, cross-functional software development team, which will participate in building the software that powers and improves efficiency to enhance our competitive advantage. The Hyderabad team will have a special focus on the parts of the system that are more customer facing, experimental, or strategically important. This person should be familiar with design and implementation issues specific to a data driven, highly scalable environments and be able to handle such issues with flexibility and ingenuity. The ideal candidate will have a strong customer focus, a proven track record of delivering high-quality products in a continuous delivery environment, and an appreciation for clean and simple code. Bridge especially values “T-shaped” team members – individuals with deep expertise in particular areas, but comfortable working across all parts of the technology stack.
What You Will Do
- Establishing testing practices to ensure the functional correctness, usability, scalability, and security of Bridge software.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to define acceptance criteria for new software projects.
- Participate in the design and estimation of new software, ensuring testing is not an afterthought.
- Deliver and manage automated testing tools for the constantly evolving needs of our various software platforms, including including a range of web and mobile applications running across a variety of devices.
- Integrate automated testing tools into build pipelines to promote a culture of continuous delivery.
- Devise approaches for validating and monitoring off-the-shelf and third-party software.
- Participate in the design and use of application monitoring tools to reduce mean time to response and to maximise uptime.
- Advocate strongly for building quality into our software and partner with the development team to establish and implement overall best practices.
- Provide third-line technical support to in-house users.
- Work with the product and development teams to establish the Bridge International Academies technology direction, including questions of “build vs. buy”.
What You Should Have
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field.
- You have 4+ years experience working on the implementation and testing of commercial distributed-system, highly scalable applications.
- You are comfortable recommending and advocating for enterprise best practices in the testing of highly-available, scalable, and reliable software.
- You are unafraid of pushing back on the team (esp. developers) when systems are difficult to test or monitor – ensuring testability is a first-class citizen.
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- You have worked in an agile delivery environment and understand not only the mechanics, but also the underlying motivations.
- You have enterprise-class experience with continuous delivery practices and tools (e.g Jenkins, Bamboo, GoCD). Experience with distributed test execution (e.g. TLB) a plus.
- You are expert in three or more of the following areas and interested in learning the rest:
- Functional testing of mobile applications, esp. Android and across devices
- Functional testing of web applications (e.g. Gherkin, Selenium, PageObject models, etc.)
- Load, soak, and resiliency testing of distributed systems
- Security testing
- Usability testing
- Contract testing web services
- Bridge applications are primarily Android and .NET, so experience in these stacks is useful; however, Bridge also values teams with diverse experience and appreciates that testing tools are more often evolved in other ecosystems, so experience in languages such as Ruby are a plus.
- Bridge is a strong supporter of open source projects – familiarity with OSS projects is a plus; contributions to open source projects is a big plus.
- Bridge also values community engagement, so team members are expected to be active participants in local user groups and other outside professional activities.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.