Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the supervision of the Regional Director for Central and West Africa at the Regional Office in Dakar, Senegal, in collaboration with the Head, Media and Communications Division (MCD) at Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva and in close coordination with the Regional Programme Coordination Officer for the Joint EUTF-IOM Initiative, the successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to the formulation and implementation of communications strategies for IOM in West and Central Africa, in line with the IOM communication strategy.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Regional Director in managing the Regional Office’s communication activities, including in leading the formulation and implementation of an external outreach and communications strategy to raise awareness of IOM and its work in the region, and to promote an accurate narrative on migration in the media, among the UN and other key IOM partners based in Dakar and in the region as well as among the general public.
- Gather, prepare and disseminate public information on IOM activities in the region under the joint EU-IOM Joint Initiative, both in writing and verbally.
- Write, edit and produce public information material for IOM’s bi-weekly press briefing notes, website and social media and other media outlets as requested.
- Advise the Regional Director, Chiefs of Mission, IOM Spokespersons, media focal points and other staff in West Africa on media, public information, awareness raising and visibility issues.
- Provide guidance and talking points as requested to colleagues in the region and HQ regarding on-going media requests and interview opportunities.
- Undertake regular TDYs to country missions/offices to support in media outreach, gather material for multi-media projects and provide tailor-made media training to individuals and teams as required.
- Produce content in the form of human interest stories from the field, by collecting multimedia content and by training staff to produce content
- Promote the activities of IOM and of the EU Trust Fund-IOM Joint Initiative, including by providing high-quality responses to media-related enquiries, preparing press releases and Op-eds, producing visibility materials to showcase IOM’s work; collecting material from the fiel for the website, setting up and maintaining social media accounts in close coordination with the relevant staff, as well as applying other creative communication approaches.
- Support the development and dissemination of appropriate communications and media resources for target communities in the specific regional context.
- Ensure timely and efficient publication and distribution of media content on the global website of IOM, country website and via other IOM media channels, websites, social media etc.
- Receive and process field media enquiries and be available for interview on print, radio and television.
- Ensure that there is appropriate gender awareness in all IOM communications.
- Develop and strengthen links with international and local media in the region to promote IOM’s work and reputation.
- Initiate and manage communications events designed to raise IOM’s visibility in the region. Represent IOM at events that contribute to IOM’s visibility.
- Contribute to the Regional Office’s overall efforts on advocacy, liaison and communication work with/to the European Union, the UN and other agencies based in Dakar and in the region, including by participating in the meetings and joint initiatives of the United Nations Communications Group in Dakar, and engaging in partnerships with the UN agencies, national and international organizations, as well as media outlets and think-tank organizations based in Dakar and in the region in the field of communications.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Relevant work experience - particularly writing and editing - in international journalism and public information;
- Experience in dealing with socially relevant topics;
- Experience in dealing with International Institutions and Organisations (UN, etc.);
- Demonstrated experience working with European Union communication guidelines and requirements;
- Demonstrated high competency as a writer, editor in English and French;
- Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production;
- Familiarity with international organizations.
Languages: Fluency in English and French is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.