Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
The Norwegian Refugee Council is looking for a Regional Programme Adviser to support the East Africa and Yemen Region. The position will provide specialist advice and guidance to Country Directors and/or Heads of Programme to ensure that optimal programme strategies, structures, systems and resources are in place; and assist Country Offices in meeting donor requirements.
- Support and ensure quality control of donor proposals and reports, and internal programme strategy documents and reports.
- Provide specialist support, advice and guidance to programme development and to strategic planning in country programmes.
- Support evaluations in country programmes.
- Promote lessons learned and best practices into programme development in country programmes, including from M&E products (such as GORS and Evaluations).
- Responsible for PCM support, including facilitation and delivery of trainings, to country programmes within the region.
- Coordinate internal reporting and facilitate meetings between Country Offices the Regional Office and Head Office
- Ensure correct archiving of key Country Office strategy, programme and project documentation, and keep oversight of Country Office proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Focal point for specific donors as assigned and responsible for staying updated on trends of these donors in the region.
- Conduct analysis of trends in the region or sub-region to contribute to regional understanding and provide evidence for advocacy and innovative project ideas.
- Represent NRC in relevant fora as required.
- Minimum First Level University Degree / BA in relevant field
- Specialist knowledge and expertise equivalent to an advanced university degree in a relevant field (e.g. international development, politics, social science)
- Minimum 5 years of experience within the humanitarian/recovery context, of which 3 years of Manager/Advisor experience
- Experience developing proposals and reports for various key donors (NMFA, UNHCR, DFID, ECHO etc.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience working with overall strategy development and planning
- Expertise/knowledge about the relevant region
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Education level: College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change