We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Under the direct supervision of PSI South Sudan's Country Representative, and working closely with PSI Africa Regional Security Manager, the South Sudan Country Risk Manager will ensure that PSI staff in South Sudan can accomplish project goals in a safe and secure manner. The Country Risk Manager will develop appropriate relationships which will foster the establishment of a security- and risk-related information-gathering network, plus careful analysis of such information, to derive appropriate responses that will help to ensure the safety of all PSI staff throughout South Sudan.
Further, he/she will develop and review policies and procedures that include minimum security guidelines, security protocols and safety standards, and collaborate with the Programmatic and Operational staff to ensure full implementation in all PSI South Sudan offices. The individual will work closely with the business operations unit to ensure all staff are regularly trained and adherence to security standards which will be monitored and reviewed regularly and updated as necessary given the changing security context.
He/She will provide ongoing advice and guidance in relation to establishing and reviewing curfews, money management policies and practice, dealing with checkpoints, vehicles and staff movement plans and tracking, general transportation policies and staff preparedness for handling acts of violence. He/She will also liaise with sub-contracted security company(ies) to ensure smooth and timely provision of guard forces, personal security details, and transport convoys, as required.
This position is based in Juba, South Sudan, with travel to select field locations as security permits to advise on program campaigns.
- Conduct threat, risk and vulnerability assessments, and provide associated follow-up on all recommendations for all programs and locations.
- Develop and/or update PSI SS's Security Management Plan (SMP) which includes risk and evacuation plans, ensuring that they include a detailed threat assessment, standard operating procedures (personnel movement & transport, telecommunications, incident reports, etc.), physical security, contingency plans, medical plans, evacuation plans, and details measures to be taken in the event of emergencies.
- Ensure adequate safety and security training to PSI in-country staff, as well as visiting staff and consultants as required. This includes providing ongoing training, mentoring, and raising awareness to new or changing policies as-needed.
- Coordinate emergency preparedness training, including evacuation, first aid and firefighting training, for both international and national staff.
- Conduct regular reviews of safety and security procedures and assist senior management in enhancing standards to meet policies in accordance with PSI's Security Management Plan.
- Disseminate and review security reports on a weekly basis at a minimum and more frequently if required.
- Line management of the Fleet Manager position.
- In close collaboration with the Country Representative Africa Regional Security Manager, oversee the development and implementation of a consistent Security Incident Reporting process including collection, dissemination and storage of country-wide information.
- Collaborate with other actors (state, military, UN, NGO, etc.) on all matters pertaining to safety and security information and support.
- Build capacity of staff to understand individual and collective responsibilities for security and safety; ensure that security planning becomes an integral part of day-to-day operations.
- Advise senior management team on all aspects of incident and crisis management in-country, including mitigation and response.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in professional security related field, including a minimum of 2 years of humanitarian aid or NGO experience in a complex environment.
- Demonstrated experience in operations planning and analysis including substantial experience in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems.
- Knowledge of security measures appropriate to the NGO community in an international setting.
- Experience living and working in East Africa; experience in South Sudan strongly desired.
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Fluency in English required
Successful candidates will be customer service oriented, exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills; have proven problem solving ability; be able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on assignments. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated interest in international health and development issues.
What would get us excited?
- A team player who is able to support multi-cultural local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PSI. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- High level of integrity and maturity; trustworthy with a clear commitment to PSI's core mission and values.
- Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Proven resiliency, flexible and adaptable.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Demonstrates leadership with good people management skills and supports learning and development amongst colleagues and disaster-affected communities. Highly organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making initiative.
- Requires ability to teach/train on safety and security measures.
- Strong information management, telecommunication, and computer skills, to include radio and satellite communications equipment.